Would you re-pitch MLB on this Merlot batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
History: juice bucket bought Sept. 7, 2013. Never checked PH or TA (I know, I know....:( )
-grape skins pack added
-Starting SG before grape skins pack ~1.082
-Sept. 13 SG ~0.996. Racked and pitched the crappy White Labs mlb (opti-malo used also)
-Spt. 29 MLF showing good progress per test and still signs of bubble
-Oct 14 MLF test done....unsure b/c it looks a bit fainted on paper but no signs of bubble
-Dec. 1 MLF test done, still showing some malic acid and no much activity seen
-Dec 14 Re-pitched White Labs MLB (didn't want to mix with a different strain)
-Dec 22 no activities at all, still....seems like stuck even with 2nd mlb inoculation
-Dec 25, MLF test shows no improvement at all and no activities either. Racked and added 1/4 tsp of k-meta plus oak spirals (tasted wine and I could tell mlf was not done, a bit astringent)

Sitting in carboy since.
This morning I calibrated my PH55 and checked PH and it is at ~3.07.
I wonder if that was the main reason of the mlf getting stuck in the first place.

In the fridge I have some left over from the VP41 packet used last Thursday night.

I read that Potassium bicarbonate is used for finished wine to increase the PH, right?

Would you try pitching VP41 after adjusting PH, (sorry I don't know the TA).
If so, how exactly bringing up the PH (never done it before).

Or, leave as is, drink it, and move on.....

If that pH is accurate that is the issue and your hosed. Stick a fork in it and forget about it. I would not mess with bicarbonate. Yes it will raise the pH but taste will be off forever IMHO. Best bet is to see how it taste now at 3.07. If its too tart I would try and blend it with something else with a higher pH. You may not need all that much to get it towards ~3.3-3.5 range.

If you have a pH meter why don't you have a TA? Both are equally important numbers to know as a winemaker.

For juice buckets (they come with yeast and also without it), if adjustments needed to be done, is it better to adjust:

1. before pitching yeast
2. during alcoholic/primary fermentation
3. during mlf?

I want to make sure I do this right the next time with a juice bucket.

You always want to adjust before you pitch the yeast. Sometimes things get a little out of hand and you may need to make minor adjustments post everything else including MLF. But you should always take the time to do it up front as this has a greater impact on the wine than it does post fermentation.

Latest posts

Back