Third time charm for MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcC

Escaping the prison of past and future with wine.
Reaction score
MLF did not happen for 2 (6 gallon) batches of Zinfandel. I re-innuculated at about 50 days after primary with Opti Malo Plus and WLB 675 bacteria (White Labs) in suspension (cold packed, but completely thawed. Maybe dead on arrival?). New paper chromatograph this morning after about 40 days shows MLF still not finished, about equal density of "spots" between lactic and malic acids. Temps were kept at about 70 to 73 degrees F thoughout. Should I re-innoculate with a dry bacteria and more nutrient for a 3rd time? No SO2 added to this wine so far and pH is high, about 3.9. I know I am skirting disaster waiting on the SO2, but so far, so good. Advice most welcome.

MLF did not happen for 2 (6 gallon) batches of Zinfandel. I re-innuculated at about 50 days after primary with Opti Malo Plus and WLB 675 bacteria (White Labs) in suspension (cold packed, but completely thawed. Maybe dead on arrival?). New paper chromatograph this morning after about 40 days shows MLF still not finished, about equal density of "spots" between lactic and malic acids. Temps were kept at about 70 to 73 degrees F thoughout. Should I re-innoculate with a dry bacteria and more nutrient for a 3rd time? No SO2 added to this wine so far and pH is high, about 3.9. I know I am skirting disaster waiting on the SO2, but so far, so good. Advice most welcome.
Most folks struggle with the WLP bacteria. Give VP 41, CH 16, Eneoferm Alpha or Beta a try. Much more robust MLB than the liquid. Increase your success rate by using Acti-ML to rehydrate and OptiMalo to feed.

VP41 looks like a winner. I only need enough for two 6 gallon carboys, They say 2.5 g will do 66 gallons! Use just 1 g or so then, or the whole packet?

It is possible to just use part of it. Pull out 1/2 the packet or so, while frozen and immediately vacuum seal and put back in the freezer. I've done that many times and it works fine, though my ML bacteria experience is with VP16. It will not hurt to over inoculate though. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back