my brother messed up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how he did this but he has a concord wine that is done fermenting and because he added too much sugar at the start has a finished sg of 1.070.:s

Now, how much concord wine @1.000 does he need to add to get it down to around 1.020 (or maybe lower)?:re

My suggestion would be for him to make another batch and blend it down to the the FG of 1.020
There's no way to know how much he needs to make without knowing how much he has made at 1.070

Well, we don't know the volume of the high-sugar batch. However, my math says he needs 2.5 times as much 1.000 stuff as the volume of the 1.070 stuff to get to 1.020.

Sorry, 5 gallons. So he needs 10 gal to get it down? Crap.

No, 2.5x would be 12.5 gallons. Even worse.

Of course, if he does dilute it, he may be able to get a fermentation started, so he would not need so much dilution. I.e., make a low-ABV wine, then add into the 1.070 stuff (which I am assuming has 15-18% ABV), then pitch a starter of an aggressive yeast like Uvaferm 43 or good ol' EC-1118.

Oh, we don't want it to start fermentation again. I think I can fix this but it looks likeit will take my 6 gallon carboy and 2 gallons I have finished dry and an empty carboy to do it. If I end up with a couple or 3 gallons of super sweet stuff it won't be a big deal because I make a bunch of concord and can mellow it out. My problem is he is 8.75 hrs away and want to try and gelp him fix this if I can.

Here is what I did as a test. Took 1 cup water, sweetened to 1.070, poured off excess back to 1 cup, added 1/2 cup water, tested, added another 1/2 cup water and that's all it took.

So, my conclusion is that he has to make 5 gallons dry and blend it together to get it to 1.016 which is a pretty good place for concord.

Thanks for all the help.

Here is what I did as a test. Took 1 cup water, sweetened to 1.070, poured off excess back to 1 cup, added 1/2 cup water, tested, added another 1/2 cup water and that's all it took.

So, my conclusion is that he has to make 5 gallons dry and blend it together to get it to 1.016 which is a pretty good place for concord.

Thanks for all the help.

Well, Fermcalc suggests you should have gotten a different result, as you can see in the picture below. But good luck!

fermcalc_dilution.jpg

Not sure how he did this but he has a concord wine that is done fermenting and because he added too much sugar at the start has a finished sg of 1.070.:s

Now, how much concord wine @1.000 does he need to add to get it down to around 1.020 (or maybe lower)?:re

What type of yeast did he use? if he hasn't added any sorbate yet, he could try a starter with a higher alcohol limit . unless I'm reading it wrong

Latest posts

Back