My barrel arrived

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Mountains

Reaction score
So cool, received my eBay barrel today. Made in Mexico over the past two weeks with our "Roll Out the Barrel" request burned into the face.

It's 5 gallons made from American White Oak. Charred over a fire of white oak chips.

It is wonderfully heavy totally empty and finished nicely on the outside.

Right now it's rehydrating with water and not showing any signs of leaks. I'm following the instructions that say to allow it to hydrate for several days to keep it from hydrating itself with our wine.

It's gonna be a nice addition to our lineup.

$133 bucks delivered. We like.

picture.php

That looks great! I sure do wish I had several of them.
Reminds me of the old days farming. We had a 400 gallon sprayer that was wood. You had to make certain even in the off season you kept it full of water.

Is that the same price you posted on here cause if so I read it wrong, thats a nice price delivered and a beautiful addition! Now remember youll need lots of topping up with that due to "The Angels Share"

Is that the same price you posted on here cause if so I read it wrong, thats a nice price delivered and a beautiful addition! Now remember youll need lots of topping up with that due to "The Angels Share"

The original post I put up was for a six gallon that you though was a bit steep at $160 delivered. I don't have access to anything nearly that cheep in my area, and when you add on shipping many barrels run in the Mid $300 range though that may be for French Oak.

I'm happy with American at this price.

I also opted for the 5 Gallon which saved a bit and I did feel I'd get better use of a five.

If anybody is interested, the guy is for real and for me has been a straight shooter.

Here was the original Link I'd put up. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370345273916

If you are making kits or even fresh juice the 5 is a better way to go and American oak is fine. just also remember that the first 2 wines will need to go in and come out fairly quick and ten the time will gradually increase as the barrel relaxes a bit. Micro oxygenation is a great thing as it lets extra water evaporate out hence the Angels Share and the end result is a better wine.

Latest posts

Back