Fermenting Wine Kit Using Water From Hydrating New Oak Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom Lausic

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! Hope all is well!

I have an interesting question for everyone: has anyone made a wine kit using the same water that was used to hydrate a new Hungarian oak barrel? I've feremented white wines (chardonnay) in new barrels in the past. But in the process of hydrating my new Hungarian oak barrel, I'm looking at the water coming out of it, and it's just loaded with colour and tannin goodness!

So my first thought was, instead of watering the gardens with this water, i was thinking of starting a new kit! Has anyone done this before? If so, how were the results??

Using the hydration water should be ok. My concern is the water may have more oak character than you want, and you won't know it's too much until you've started. Without smelling/tasting the water, I don't know.

To reduce risk, you could use half barrel water and half fresh water.

You could try 25% mix in a red kit, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or similar.

If you have freezer space, freeze the excess water in plastic gallon jugs, and if it works out, use them in later kits. Of course, this assumes you have a collection of gallon plastic jugs on hand ....

Maybe a 1/4 cup once fermentation is established. You can always add a little every time you rack the wine, as you think is necessary. I think something similar is sold online as a wine-making tannin additive. Maybe more information can be found by reading one of the online product's ad or web page.

pretty cool idea here.

could just split the batch too. one with oak water, one without. who knows- it might be amazing and you decide to keep them separate for good. and then refine the process as you continue doing it.

interested to see how this goes.

Back