My 2014 Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year, I started a thread detailing my 2013 fall crush. Seems that a lot of folks liked it, so (unless someone protests) I am doing it again this year.

I spent all of last weekend getting ready for crush. This year, I am expecting around 80 people.

Crush is a "two front war". We have the actual winemaking, but also it is a big party. Both ends of the event needs attention. For food, I organized the troops and have convinced 20 people to bring some sort of dish. I spent yesterday cooking meatballs (in sauce) and Sausage-n-peppers from scratch. They are resting nicely in my freeze until the day. Most importantly, my brother is making the traditional chicken paprikas (Hungarian chicken stew) and my mother is making the goulash. I promised to make the spaetzle (next week).

My cousin is bringing 10 gallons of his home made beer (to make a good wine, you start with a great beer). Others are bringing stuffed cabage, Perogies, Turkey, pulled pork, and assorted baked goods. Many others have simply promised to "bring something".

Also spent a lot of time this weekend getting the yard in shape. The area in front of the winery doors was a trampled mud slick last year so I spread about 2 tons of new gravel. I hope this helps. Also, organized my sun deck and set up the large buffet table.

Finally, I spent a significant amount of time scrubbing tanks and checking out the lid gaskets. Darn things are now so clean they look brand new! Also started to prepare the press by cleaning the baskets and bottom pan. Also spent a lot of time reorganizing everything (tossing out old chemicals, cleaning shelves, etc.) and tinkering with my new pump.

Next week, I begin to pull out the crusher, the crusher stand, and primaries for a good check out and pressure cleaning. Only two weekends left before crush. Part of me can't wait to get at it, while another part of me wishes I had more time.

Last edited:
This year, I am expecting around 80 people.

Make that 81. :) Like Greg, I'm coming for the food!

One problem though: You haven't told us WHAT you're crushing. Or have you not decided yet?

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to go back and read about last year's.

Interesting to hear about all this crushing coming up in a couple weeks in the future as I've been crushing and pressing like a madman lately. Wow...80 people to help! Have fun! Looking forward to the pictures and story!

JohnT, I would really love to be there for that event! Sounds like a lot of fun and great food!

I have to say I really admire the fact that you can pull this off. Entertaining 80 people is enough, but I'm sure you'll probably be crushing 1,000 pounds or more of grapes in the process. Pulling off the logistics of a crush like that, and having that many people at the house to be fed and watered is no small feat. I have romantic dreams of doing this someday (on a smaller scale, mind you). But it is a way off. Make sure your niece takes plenty of pics.

I would love to join in but since I live so far, I guess I'll have to settle for pictures and dreams of great food. Good luck John!

Boatboy is correct. Many come just for the party. Of the 80, I would say that there are, perhaps, 30 people helping. A few of the folks just come for the morning, while others may come after noontime.

With so many folks, we usually start crushing by 8am and are done by 2 or 3pm and the after-party usually winds up around 1 or 2am.

I like to avoid assigning jobs to people. Most have been to crush many times and know all of the specific tasks involved. I prefer that the folks do what they want and for as long as they want. People HATE being told what to do and be ordered about (especially volunteers looking for a good time). In the end it all always gets done, from sorting the grapes, lugging them into the winery, directing which grapes go where (normally my job), pressing the whites, and even busting up the grapes and tossing them into the dumpster. There is also the "party patrol" that takes care of setting out the food, setting up chairs and tents, empting garbage cans, setting up beer, cleaning, and pouring out some wine for the folks.

We do go through a lot of wine at crush. It is, after all, a party. We have a good time, but we are also responsible. I always tell folks that there is plenty of room, even if it is floor space. May make for a bad night for sleeping, but it is sure better than a bench in a DWI jail cell.

Last year, we went through about 6 cases of wine and about a half keg of beer. For those that are big helpers, I always make sure that they go home with a couple of bottles. That would account for about another 4 cases.

The thing about this, it is only the crush. There is the pressing a week later. Pressing is always a much smaller crew. I expect perhaps 12 to 20 people that will arrive and help out. The pressing is always more subdued and having fewer people means that there is a lot more room to move around. Any more would be a hindrance. The best part is that they will help eat up all of the left overs from crush.

Update

Well spent most of the weekend preparing for crush again.

This time I cooked a large lasagna and a big pan of spaetzle. The spaetzle is needed for the goulash, lecho, and chicken paprikas that people are bringing.

With that done, I did a little work on the press to make sure it is in order, cleaned and sanitized the large primary fermenters, and organized/cleaned my wine racks and wet bar.

I am starting to get excited now. The food is mostly taken care of and the house and winery are both in good order. Next weekend my brother is going to help me with a few things and then all should be ready.

Latest posts

Back