Mustang Red Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stdkls28,

I believe the mustang grapes finish verason earlier in the year so you may have some difficulties finding them. I believe the muscadine will start soon so you should have better luck there. The big problem with muscadines is finding them outside the vineyard. We did find two small mustang vines on our property and we established another vine by air layering. As far as finding vines, we see them all along I-10 (outside the city), 290, 59, 35, 36, . . . just about everywhere. We're heading out to Sealy next weekend and we'll see them all along the way. If you need help identifying them, let us know.

We did rack the mustang but did not get a reading yet. A friend came over with a ph meter and measured both the high acid and low acid parts. He got the highest and lowest readings he had ever seen. He also tasted the low high ph part and felt it had a good flavor. My conclusion is . . . I need a meter.

e-wine

Okie Dokie......i think maybe i'll look into Muscadine. If not i'll go with peach or plum. I just came into a lot of frozen fruit!

shanman75,

We had an interesting and busy year this year so I apologize for the delayed respond. We bottled the mustang about 90 days ago and it came out very good. We started 10 gallons of mustang pyment but based on the last batch of mustang, we don't expect it to clear anytime soon.

Our fig wine from 2011 did not come out as well as 2010 but the batch this year is progressing nicely. My wife and I met Jack Keller at a symposium and asked about fig wine. Based on his input, there was nothing we did wrong on the 2011 fig batch. Maybe it was the drought. Thanks for the inquiry.

stdkls,

Are you in any of the area wine clubs?

e-wine

shanman75,

stdkls,

Are you in any of the area wine clubs?

e-wine

I am not; I didn't even know there were any. I was in Texas Home Brewers in Katy and the owner mentioned something about starting something. I signed up but haven't received an email.

Although it is a bit of a drive, we meet with the group at DeFalco's inHouston. We've heard of other clubs and of other winemakers wanting to start clubs but we never get much of a response. The next meeting is the secondThursday in December and there is a hard core group of about 10 that alwaysshow up. More details available if you are interested, just send me a message. (This invitation is for anyone that isinterested.) We took the mustang lastmeeting but we can bring another bottle if you would like to give it a try. Weprobably will bring a bottle of raspberry since we just bottled 10 gallons lastnight and could also bring a bottle of sweet potato, blueberry or cherry/berry. All came out rather nice. By the way, several members started Lenoir batches this summer from a harvest we attended. Most are ports and there is one individual who makes an excellent Lenoir port. He's a great resource.

e-wine

Back