muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
I just planted my first muscadines. Do I need to prune them down? They are aprox 4 feet tall.

I don't have any experience with Muscadine grapes so I can't say for sure. A couple questions though. I assume you are in the deep south being from Georgia. Do you experience any freezes there and are the vines dormant? Or are they green vines from pots? I would expect that you would want to prune them back at least somewhat to aid in balancing the top and root growth as well as aiding in obtaining a larger diameter trunk. A lot of references say not to prune Muscadines at planting though.

Waldo has some Muscadines planted a couple years now, maybe he can give you a pointer or two.

Here is a pdf document on establishing Muscadines.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-3105/HLA-6254web.pdfEdited by: appleman

Yes, you need to prune them. There is a lot of info in the Internet about this. If you want a great book look at Ison's Nursery website and order the book they sell about Muscadines. It is fantastic and explains the pruning of muscadines. They have a book as well just covering pruning. I haven't read it but if it is as good as the one I have of theirs, it will be a great book.

http://www.isons.com/books.htm

Agree with Smurfe. The Ison's book is a fantastic resource for Muscadine growers. I started four plants this year in my side yard and they are roughly half way up a guide wire to my trellis wire. Following the suggestions for fertilization, watering, and pruning to keep one strong branch growing up a guide wire and things are working great. Will be a couple of years yet before my first harvest, but love the feeling of growing my own.

Two years later and will get my first harvest in a few weeks. Beautiful large grapes. Can't wait to start that first batch.

Has it been two years from your last post too??
smiley36.gif
Just tell me what time and I will help you pick. I wish I had planted like I said I was going to two years ago
smiley19.gif

Wow, glad you popped back in here! We'd love to see some pics nd are ecstatic that you are back with this great news1

Had planted 4 vines three years ago. Winter killed 2 the first year. Both came back up from root and one is now on the trellis and producing a little this year. The 4th got killed off again last year, came up AGAIN and is now just about to the trellis wire again.

The first two (both 3 years old) are almost 20 foot wide now and will put off probably 30# on one and 20# on the other. Next year will be full production on 3 of the vines.

20100827_170906_IMG_2419.JPG

20100827_171016_IMG_2420.JPG

Have to do some work after prunning on my support systems. Vines are very, very heavy.

20100827_171112_IMG_2417.JPG

Vines certainly can be heavy between the vine and all the crop. A lot of people underestimate it initially and need to build stronger later. Those are looking pretty good and those muscadines look delicious!

Is that a single wire trellis? Anyone here have recommendations on trellis types for muscadines? single, double, munson 3 wire, geneva double curtain?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back