Muscadine wine- experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.arkvinomaker

Reaction score
Wade suggested I share this experiment with everyone because he thought it might be helpful to others. My goal in this recipe is to achieve the most fruit forward Muscadine wineI can come up with. I have three separate batches of White Muscadine which are actually "bronze". As to the actual name of the variety I don't know but I could find out though. All three are made from the same variety. I bought them at a vinyard in Altus AR . The winery is Post Winery. They make the best Muscadine wine in the world in my opinion. Their Muscadine wine is what I want mine to grow up to be!
smiley4.gif
I bought a flat of grapes which ended weighing 80#'s.
My first wine is a five gal. batch of pure juice which I pressed myself.
Hereare my recipes

(experimental) White Muscadine #1 Pure Juice

started 9-14-2007 SG 1.096 PA 13% 5 gal. batch
**I don't test acid. I go by taste.

4.75 Gal. Musacadine Juice from 65# grapes (15.1 brix before sweeting)
1 qt. Spring Water
5 tsp Yeast nutrient
1 Mantrachet Red Yeast
2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1# Raisins (white)
7 1/2# sugar
5/8 tsp Potasium Metabisulfite
1 1/4 tsp Potassium Sorbate

Put juice in primary bucket dissolved yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme in cup of water. Added combination to juice. Brought remainig water to a boil
and added sugar to dissolve. Added to primary. Added Potassium Metabisulfite to primary. Covered and let set 24 hours. Pitched yeast by sprinkling on top. Must has an intense Muscadine flavor at this point.

**I did not add any grape skins from the Muscadines. I added raisins expecting to get the tannins from them. Also seeing how this will effect color and clarity.

racked & moved to secondary - 9-27-2007 SG 1.01

At this time 11-27-2007 very little sediment about 1/8". One advantage of using pure juice. Wine has a nice straw color and rather clear already. I will bulk age one year racking every so often.

(experimental) White Muscadine #2

started 9-14-2007 SG 1.085 PA 11% 3 gal batch No acid test

15# Muscadines (crushed) and skins
3 gal Spring water
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
9# sugar
2 tspPotassium bicarbonate (to reduce acid)
2 cans Welches Frozen Niagra concentrate
3/8 tsp Potassium metabisulfite
3/4 tsp Potassium Sorbate
1Mantrachet yeast

poured 2 1/2 gal. water in primary. Poured muscadines in straining bag and added to primary. Dissolved yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme and potassium bicarbonate in cup of water. Added to must. Brought remaining water to boil and dissolved sugar. Added to must. Added Niagra concentrate. Covered and let set 24 hours. Pitched yeast by sprinkling on top. muscadine flavor is there but not quite as intense as first. Color a light straw.
*** I added potassium bicarbonate because I used the skins and I suspect will be more acidic.

racked and moved to secondary 9-27-2007 sg 1.015

At this time 11-27-2007 there is about 1/2" of sediment and the wine has turned a bronze color but pretty clear.

(experimental) White Muscadine #3 steamed

started 11-12-2007 SG 1.09 PA 12% 1 gal. batch no acid test

5# Muscadines (extracted 8 cups juice steaming)
skins from 2# of muscadines
1/2 gal spring water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 3/4# sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/8 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite
1/2 packet Mantrachet yeast
4 oz. Welches Frozen Niagra concentrate

Added 2c. water to pressure cooker and steamed crushed fruit. Combined
yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme in a cup of water. Added to primary.
Dissolved sugar in boiling water and added to primary. Added meta and
Welches concentrate. Place grape skins in nylon straining bag and added to must.

** Flavor and smell almost as intense as the all juice batch. Very pleased so far of the results of steaming.

racked and moved to secondary 11-20-2007 SG 1.01

At this time 11-27-2007 the must has about 3/8" sediment and is cloudy.

Because of some of the variations of the recipes there will be some differences in the end results. I was trying to anticipate the finished product and changed the recipe to adjust for the skins in wine# 2 and #3. In wine #2 I added the bicarbonate to adjust some of the acid I suspect
will come from the skins. This will have more tannins also. In wine 3 I cut back on the % of skins in relation to the total amount of actual grapes used trying another way to reduce acid and tannins. I may be wrong about my ideas about the acid but hey this is how I learn. Trial and error.
I will keep you posted.

David, how does the acidity of the Bronze muscadine compare with the black varities? If even close I would think batch one is going to require some serious adjustment. On batch 2did you use the bicarbonate during fermentation? If so, how did it work and do you plan on cold stabilizing?

Hi Waldo,
Have you tried any of Post's muscadines wines? The bronzemake a light straw color wine. To my taste it has the most intensemuscadine flavor of the three they make. They make a red also that is good but they also make a blush they have blended the two together with. It is smoother but with the intense flavor of the white. That's about the only
way I know to tell you and I'm not sure I answered your question. When its all said and done I was going to let you try them and brainstorm with you. As to cold stabilization I'm in uncharted territory. I was hoping not
to have to. I'm hoping that time will help because I bulk age a year in the carboy.

I bought muscadine wine from a half dozen wineries last year to compare with how mine was coming out. I'm pretty sure Post was one of them, but most were from Louisiana wineries. Most of them didn't even havethat very distinctive"muscadine" flavor.

None came close to the muscadine flavor I get when I do 1 gal batches (nothing but yeast, 5.5 cups musc, 5 cups sugar, water) and they taste/smell like fresh muscadine. The simpler the batch is, the more muscadine flavor comes through, in my opinion.

When I make larger batches, even though I use a lot of muscadine (36# per 6 galbatch). the larger batch I make, the less fruit forward they are. I think all the various chemicals (acids, enzymes, fining agents, sulfites, etc.) mask much of the flavor

I'd compare my muscadine (from 6 gal batch) to Waldo's for muscadine flavor; though mine isn't as "finished" a product, both have much more "muscadine" flavor than any winery product I've sampled.

I just had a thought! Yes, it's rare.
smiley36.gif
The muscadine I use for 1 gal batches are from wild vines on my property. The ones I use for the larger batches are from a vinery where I get the owner to pick them for me. Although both are from black varieties, (all I use) the ones I get on the property have all fallen from the vine & are at peak ripeness. I don't know about the ones from the vinery, I don't pick them.

Home wine making - so many possibllitites!

Great job s.arkvin, I think everyone can learn from this including you.

bj4271 said:
I just had a thought! Yes, it's rare.
smiley36.gif
The muscadine I use for 1 gal batches are from wild vines on my property. The ones I use for the larger batches are from a vinery where I get the owner to pick them for me. Although both are from black varieties, (all I use) the ones I get on the property have all fallen from the vine & are at peak ripeness. I don't know about the ones from the vinery, I don't pick them.

Bruce, you hit the nail on the head. The ripe/mature fruit will have a more intense flavor. Kind of goes along with the fresh vs. frozen fruit thing. For example, I will only use frozen blueberries for wine as they were picked riper and flash frozen. Fresh fruits in the markets are picked much sooner to make it to the fruit stand. I have yet to find any "flavorful" fresh blueberries (or strawberrieseither)here (at the Farmer's Markets)but bought some great frozen berries in the grocery case.

when I get my 7 gallons of muscadines, they are picked ripe. I pick them up in a couple of cardboard boxes lined with newspapers. I let them sit in the boxes for about 3 days before I juice them. It drastically intensifies the flavor. They also soften and "juice" better. I leave them at room temperature, never refrigerate them. (side note....they do attract lots of yellow jackets and bees so be careful about the leaving the door open...a yellow jacket can find a muscadine from a mile away)

Hoss, if you freeze those Muscadines, they will juice even better. Freezing them will break down the cell walls and let the juice flow. I don't know anyone around here that don't freeze them first.Just about any fruit juices better after frozen.

really? that's interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Any preparation or anything special, or just freeze them?

Hoss, I used some crabapples to make a wine out of and they were like rocks even though they were very sweet and tart. I froze them and they were not mush afterwards but I was able to crush them with my hands in the fermenting bag and I would not have been able to do this without freezing them.

I freeze all my fruits I buy for the very reason Smurfe said. Problem is I can't get my supply to go down because I won't quit buying. I've found you have to be an opportunist when it comes to fruit. If you find a fruit that has fantastic flavor you better grab it because its you snooze you lose. I'm picky about what I buy though. Here in Arkansas we have very good resouses for fruit between the you pick em orchards and farmers markets. If I can just find some good vinyards for the Cabs and such I would be set.

<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip1 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip2 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip3 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip4 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip5 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip6 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip7 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip8 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip9 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip10 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip10 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();>
<DIV =lm_tip id=lm_tip10 =lm_div_mouseOver(); =lm_div_mouseOut();> I don't know about other parts of the country, but here in S.C. we call the bronze color Muscadine grapes Scuppernongs.

Grizzly: THANK YOU!!!!!

I said the same thing. I have had people try to sell me bronze muscadines that taste exactly like a scuppernong, but they insist that they are muscadines.

Perhaps there is such a thing, but to me, if it's Bronze/Green and taste like a scuppernong, it's a scuppernong!

a scuppernong and a muscadine are one and the same...just a different name for the same grape. scuppernong is usually associated with the white or golden, or bronze variety.

Hoss,

As far as prep before freezing, just get out any leaves, pine straw, bits of vine, stems, etc. Easier now than after thawing.

I love Muscadine wine. I always buy from the Post or Wiedeker family when I visit Arkansas. I was wondering if the acidity is a problem? I've eaten raw muscadines and they can actually start to burn my lips.

Latest posts

Back