Muscadine Help- Attn. Waldo et al

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKsmith

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been sort of "off the reservation" for the last year or so but decided this weekend to get back into the swing of things. I finally used my Mehu-Liisa Steamer and steam juiced a freezer full of frozen muscadines, I ended up with 5 1/2 gallons of juice. I have been searching all morning for info but am running out of time and still don't have the answers I need, hence the call for emergency support!!
smiley1.gif

Question 1: Should I split the batch into 2 or make one batch with pure juice? (I am planning on adjusting acid with calcium carbonate)

Question 2: Since I have never "steam juiced" before, is there anything else I need to do differently such as add extra pectin for clearing?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

The calcium Carbonate is a good idea. I used it in my last batch of scuppernnong and it was the best ever!

You will need to add the Pectic enzyme.

As far as splitting it, or diluting it goes, I guess it depends on what the juice taste like now. Sometimes when I steam fruit, it seems to add a certain amount of water through condensation. If however it steams good, where I think I have all juice, then I might mix 3 gallons of juice to 2 gallons water.......... just depends on taste which will have a great deal to do with the quality of grape used, steaming, etc..

Hope that helped.

Thanks Jobe! I appreciate your input. The juice tastes fantastic now. Along with about 2 cups of sugar per "steamer batch"I added 3 lbs of local honey and then added additional sugar to bring the S.G. to about 1.100. I also added 1/2 gallon of water to bring everything to an even 6 gal. In addition to this, I also added 6 crushed campden tablets, yeast nutrient and 1 tsp /gal of Calcium carbonate. So, unless anyone thinks I really need to dilute it further, I think I will proceed with 95% juice and see what happens. How does that sound?

I wouold split it into two batches if it were mine and have a beginning SG of no more than 1.080 fo each batch. What yeast are you planning on using?

Well, you are the muscadine master Waldo so I will follow your advice and split it into two batches.
smiley1.gif
As for the yeast, I had planned to use Montrachet but I also have 71B-1122, Pastuer Champagne, and Premier Cuvee on hand. The Montrachet has an expiration date of Mar 09 but it has been refrigerated since I bought it 2 yrs. ago so I am assuming it is still good.Thanks for your advice and if you have anyother tips they would be much appreciated as well! Now, back to the kitchen. I am almost through steam juicing 45 lbs. of elderberries from last year. I'm sure I will have questions about that soon as well. Again, thank you everyone for your help!

The yeast will probably be fine but i would recommend making a starter with it first just to be sure.

Back