Muscadine as a Starter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a muscadine slurry to get a batch of SP going? I have about a quart and a half in the fridge just waiting to be used. I am having trouble envisioning what kind of a flavor it might impart to the SP.

Thanks,

Has anyone ever used a muscadine slurry to get a batch of SP going? I have about a quart and a half in the fridge just waiting to be used. I am having trouble envisioning what kind of a flavor it might impart to the SP.

Thanks,

GTS you will have a darn good flavor. I'm envisioning a slight grape with a spicy finish and go right into a lemon flavor. I see it all just sliding together.

Julie,

All of that? I think I need to drink it a little slower! :)

I will bottle a batch next week made with 100% lime juice and started with a mango slurry. It has a deep golden color and tastes great. I guess the muscadine will be next. Apparently everything I've read here about this stuff is true, as all my friends insist that I keep some in production.

Thanks,
Greg

I always give our quick breads (i.e. pumpkin spice, cherry chip, bluebery creamcheese, etc.) that i make to my family. They once told me I would not be allowwed in my Mom's house if I did not have the breads. Well now they tll me they only want 2 breads and have to give them 2 bottles of skeeter pee for christmas!

GTS, I'm about to do the same thing. Last season, I had an abundant amount of meyer lemons so, I juiced and froze. Now I have a goal, meyer lemon pee. Plus I have 8-9lbs of muscadines for 1 Gallon of wine.

It should be an interesting combo

John, Cypress Texas

I bottled a SP with a Muscadine slurry last month. Everyone that has tried it says it's off the chain. My take as I am drinking one now is this:
The musadine and lemon are well blended. Although you can taste both neither is overpowering. It is actually smooth on the palette. I did not add more than two cups of sugar at backsweeting.

It really is very GOOD.

Go for it. You can't go wrong.

Steve

I bottled a SP with a Muscadine slurry last month. Everyone that has tried it says it's off the chain. My take as I am drinking one now is this:
The musadine and lemon are well blended. Although you can taste both neither is overpowering. It is actually smooth on the palette. I did not add more than two cups of sugar at backsweeting.

It really is very GOOD.

Go for it. You can't go wrong.

Steve

Steve you are so right, you can't go wrong making a muscadine wine and you can't go wrong making a skeeter pee so how in the world can a skeeter pee not taste good with a muscadine slurry?

Julie, That was my thinking when I did it.

Come to think of it, I need to look in the fridge as I think I have some more Muscadine slurry in there.

Julie, That was my thinking when I did it.

Come to think of it, I need to look in the fridge as I think I have some more Muscadine slurry in there.

I have a quart in the freezer but I have 20 gallons going even though it was racked from the primary to the secondary I think there enough of a slurry to use. I will fine out.

I've heard that the slurry from a secondary doesn't work that well. Keep us posted.

I've heard that the slurry from a secondary doesn't work that well. Keep us posted.

Yea I know but this is what I did. I started the wine from grapes but I wasn't sure on how much water I needed. I made a water wine in case I need to dilute the wine and I did, the wine was still to syruppy but I did not want to dilute with water to water down the alcohol. I use the water wine which I made the same sg as the wine. When I put the muscadine into a carboy I topped up with the water wine that was still fermenting away, so was the muscadine and I did not have a lot of lees laying on the bottom. I still had some grapes in the muscadine, so I'm thinking I had a pretty good slurry in there.

I've hear secondary slurry doesn't work as well. However I have used it and it takes some coaching. Keep us posted as to how it turns out.

Anyone know if slurry from santa rosa plum wine will be good for skeeter pee? Its what I have going at the moment although I set it up for 14.5 percent with champagne yeast...........

Anyone know if slurry from santa rosa plum wine will be good for skeeter pee? Its what I have going at the moment although I set it up for 14.5 percent with champagne yeast...........

It should work. I'd make sure to rack from primary to secondary a bit early. You don't want the yeast to be overly stressed. You should be safe moving it from primary to secondary at around 1.010. If you keep it a little on the cool side, it shouldn't overflow the carboy. Plum is likely to have some pectin in it, so I'd also probably add a bit of pectic enzyme once the Skeeter Pee is done fermenting.

Latest posts

Back