muscadine advice needed.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanfkd

Junior
Reaction score
New to the forum. I've been reading and stalking for about a month. Need some advice on my first batch of muscadines. Started 10-6 thirty four pounds of noble variety crushed and in a nylon bag. SG adjusted to 1.090 TA .70 ph 3 to 4 range (with strips). 10-11 SG was 1.020 racked to 5 gallon glass carboy and 1 gallon carboy. TA and ph still the same. 10-19 it's about .996.
After it's completely dry should I add K meta and potassium sorbate? Or should I continue to age it. I have a way to store it in a garage at fairly cold temps without freezing over the winter. I live in southern Va. How long should I age it. Reading online I find this varies greatly. Any advice with where to go from here is greatly appreciated

Once you are sure it is done fermenting, you should definitely add k-meta before aging for any length of time to protect the wine from oxidation and spoilage. Sorbate should be added if you are backsweetening; if not, you don't need to add it.

Add your k-meta now and let it sit for 3 months, rack add more k-meta and if clear then add you sorbate.

Should I keep it in a cold dark place those three months? Should I add k meta again with sorbate before back sweetening ?

Yes,if you can keep it I a cool dark place that would be good. Leave it for three months, rack and add Kmeta and if clear then add the sorbate, if not clear wait another three months, rack add kmeta and sorbate if clear.

Thanks! Hopefully I can ask more as I go along. I really need a mentor. I'm. 4 years from retirement and I plan to make this a major hobby. Even started my own vineyard of muscadines.

Latest posts

Back