Muriatic acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I meant to get back to this but got distracted.

Your protocol looks fine. I don't know that there would be any bleach residue after rinsing well with water, but scrubbing and cleaning certainly can't hurt. I have certainly cleaned carboys and bottles with bleach away from the winery and never worried about them after triple rinsing with water.

Thank You.

Cheers!

I pour it into my pool water and swim in it, so I wouldn't be too worried.

PPE is a must, the fumes are strong and the liquid will take skin down to the bone.

You really pour Muriatic acid in your pool water?

Please explain.

Thanks!

Best and cheapest way to keep pH in check with a salt water chlorine generator.

Baking soda and generic bleach are the other things you need...piss on pool store high-dollar crap.

carboy with stains

I hate to disagree - but I am a chemist and can speak to this.

HCl (muriatic acid) is not a bad option to remove calcium deposits as they will be dissolved in acid. And the stronger the acid, the better. You may be ok with acetic acid (distilled vinegar), but HCl is stronger and will do a better job.

You do not need to worry about the chlorine issues that folks are speaking about. The Cl in hydrochloric acid is chloride (not chlorine). It is just as innocent as the chloride ion in sodium chloride (table salt). The cork taint issues folks are worried about with chlorine are caused by elemental chlorine (Cl-Cl) or other types of oxidized chlorine species (chlorite, chlorate, etc).

Because it is a strong acid, please be careful not to get it on your skin and clothing or breath any vapors. Rinse very well with lots of water when you are done.

New at making wine and have a carboy that has stains in it that I just can't get out. After reading you post last night I went out and got some Muriatic acid at Home Depot, had to buy 2 gallons of the stuff so I think I have enough to get the job done, but my question is what is the mixing ratio for cleaning carboys? I planned on putting it outside at the drive way so when it's done I can use it to help clean the drive. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks Bill

Using Muriatic acid to clean carboys or other things that have calcium deposits is an excellent choice, all these other guys are so screwed up they flunked chemistry or probably didn't take the class. Just rinse somewhat...and the other thing you may get an un asked for response or opinion is 'Acid is dangerous and can burn your skin'...hogwash acid will not burn your skin no matter the concentration...period, only caustic chemicals burn cellulose matter, such as lye, sodium hydroxide. Anyone with an opinion "Do not reply"

Using Muriatic acid to clean carboys or other things that have calcium deposits is an excellent choice, all these other guys are so screwed up they flunked chemistry or probably didn't take the class. Just rinse somewhat...and the other thing you may get an un asked for response or opinion is 'Acid is dangerous and can burn your skin'...hogwash acid will not burn your skin no matter the concentration...period, only caustic chemicals burn cellulose matter, such as lye, sodium hydroxide. Anyone with an opinion "Do not reply"

IMG_4783.jpg
You know- reading your response (on a 2 year old conversation btw) did not make me think “wow. What an informative post about acid that was!”
My only thought was “why is this dude so angry?” (Putting it nicely) Sorry not sorry I broke your “do not reply” rule.

Back