Moving with Wine is Tough!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here has moved and had to move their wine collection but I can tell you it is tough. I started today moving my wines to the house we are moving to. It is about 5 miles from where we live now. All of the case boxes I have are full of empties so I have been using some Rubbermaid totes. I can get around 30 bottles or so in a tote and they are heavy. I would hate to think of a move of distance with an extensive wine collection. I have about 500 bottles to move. Thank goodness I only have 4 full carboys to move.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

A good solution; I'm thinking maybe you should be drinking them so as they won't be so heavy to move!
smiley36.gif

Maybe you could just get a really long racking hose and your auto siphon and pump it all over there!
smiley36.gif

I believe I would swap places with the empties. Put them in the totes and my wines in the boxes.

Is the old house sold. I would just leave all the wine there and start
fresh while I talk to your realtor about the purchase of your old
house.
smiley4.gif

We had to move our collection 500 miles. It was about 8 cases of
beer, 15 cases of wine and 4 cases of other assorted booze (liquor is
controlled more tightly in Oregon then in California, so we stocked
up). We rented a van moved our beer and
wine, empty carboys and about 500 pounds of brewing malt a couple of
weeks before the big move. Luckly, we had stopped production in
time so that we did not have to move full carboys.

Hope you like your new house.

Tom

Edited by: tfries

Waldo said:
I believe I would swap places with the empties. Put them in the totes and my wines in the boxes.

I had thought about that until laziness set in once again. I moved the carboys today and around 200-250 bottles of wine. It wasn't too tough, just tiring. Gonna move the rest of the bottles and my equipment tomorrow. Then I have to start on all the crap I have in my garage and shed.

We aren't doing the big move until like the 19th of February. We can start now as the house is one my wife will inherit after her Uncle dies. He is a widower and in poor health so we are going to go ahead and move in to watch after him and just keep him company. He is a double amputee and a renal patient so he needs some help.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,
Sorry to hear about the Uncle,...but I'm sure that peace of mind he will receive knowing you are taking care and watching over him and spending time with him will make it easier for him. Before I move where I am now...I had to move my "winery", and it was a pain.....but I probably made it that way to those on the moving end.......When those carboys were going from one secure place to another... I was the producer, the director and the writer....so they had to get it right!!!!Edited by: rgecaprock

I did the same move with about 700 bottles last October. The look on the movers face when they saw all the wine cased up was priceless. How come so many small boxes they asked? I said they are all full of wine, so will get to be very heavy before the end of the day.

We had good movers, so we had very little breakage, and not one bottle was broken! I did move all the carboys myself. If you can get your hands on some old plastic milk crates, they make transporting full carboys easy.

Back