Mosti Mondiale Moscato Fresh Juice and Muté

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I ordered an MM Fresh Juice Moscato. I plan to withhold muté, i.e., reserve juice, to back-sweeten the wine after fermenting dry. Does anyone knowhow to calculate how much reserve juiceto withhold. I was thinking of reserving 1.5 liters, addingSO2 and Bentoniteand freezingthe reserve juice.
Also, I don't want the Moscato to undergo MLF. Should I addLysozyme Dry Powder to prevent MLF?

I got the Moscato also (I wonder how many of each fresh juice were sold, or at least what the most popular were) and I hear something like 1 liter, freezeand add 1 cup of sugar to the must to replace it. When time to add it back, thaw, pour off sediment and add to wine.Edited by: Coaster

The amount to reserve will depend of the specific gravity of the juice and the desired sweetness of the finished wine.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

My approach would be to use a table that provides relationships between specific gravity, Brix and grams of sugar per liter. These tables can be found in winemaking books and on the Internet. For my example I used the table on Ben Rotter’s website.

Based on the table, a juice with a specific gravity of 1.090 will contain about 242 grams of sugar per liter. From my reading and experience a wine fermented to dry will contain about 2 grams per liter of residual sugar.

If 1.5 liter of juice was reserved, the reserve would contain 363 grams of sugar (1.5 liters * 242 grams per liter). The remaining 21.5 liters would be fermented to dry and would contain 43 grams of sugar (21.5 liters * 2 grams per liter). The final wine would be a blend of the two and would contain 406 grams of sugar and have a volume of 23 liters; this is about 18 grams of sugar per liter (406 grams / 23 liters). Looking at Ben Rotter’s table, 18 grams per liter corresponds to about 2.7° Brix.

Reserving 3 liters of juice with a SG of 1.085 (228 grams sugar per liter), would look like this:

3 liters * 228 = 684
20 liters * 2 = 40
(684 + 40) / 23 = 31, according to Ben Rotter’s table about 3.8° Brix

Remember that as the volume of the reserve increases, the percent alcohol by volume of the blended finished wine decreases.

This approach seems logical to me. Hopefully, someone will correct any faulty logic and/or provide an easier method.
I doubt that the wine will undergo MLF without the introduction of MLF bacteria; however, I would add Lysozyme to be safe. MLF and potassium sorbate can result in an unpleasant situation.

Thank you Joseph. I knew there was someone out there more mathematically inclined than me. Your reply is very helpful. I had read an article saying the amount to reserve is difficult to calculate, but the author did not provide any explanation or method for the calculation. I was playing with numbers trying to come up with an accurate calculation to assess this, but you provided me a much speedier route.

Latest posts

Back