Mold/Mildew on press basket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm gearing up to get started and bought a used press and crusher. Both were used last fall. It looks like there is some greenish mold or mildew on the wood of the press basket. How should I clean it off?

Also, the crusher has a wood frame and hopper. No mold. Do I need to/should I treat the wood with anything (oil, paint, etc)?

Thanks,

Tom

First off, welcome to the forum. I love it when I see there is another jeeper on here.

Not sure on how to clean off mold from a press, but I think I would make a solution with k-meta and using a cloth see if you couldn't scrub it off but then again I haven't do e this so I am not sure it this would work. I am sure there will be others with more experience than me who can help you.

Very cool! Thanks.

I gave I a good scrub with un-everything oxyclean and looks to be ready to go. I ordered 8 crates of Chilean grape, 4 Malbec and 4 Merlot to get a start. Should be in by mid-May.

Thanks,

Tom

My concern is always with the wood absorbing that oxyclean. I would make sure that I rinse it down completely, and once I feel it is fully rinsed, I would rinse it again. Then I would rinse a third time just to be more than sure.

I would also finish off with a good dowsing in strong k-meta solution before you start.

A bath in bright hot sunlight may help to kill the mold.

I know a lot of people say that Chlorine is a no-no around wine. However, mold is not your friend either. A one-time cleaning with bleach now. A good rinse. Sitting out in the sun for a week. More rinsing. And then sitting around for a few months until grapes ripen in the fall. By then, the chlorine should be gone.

Get you some Iodophor solution and treat the infected parts. Its no rinse and if it works well enough for hospitals you know it should take care of any winemakers concerns.

Even better glowin!

I would also suggest that after it is clean and dry, give it a nice couple of coats of EZ-DO. This is a food safe polyurethane and gives a great finish.

Latest posts

Back