Mn1200 ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamovineyard

Reaction score
I've read some older posts about the MN1200 grape variety that was/is in trials. Haven't found much online on the the subject. I'm over on the west michigan lakeshore and always interested in new cold hardy varieties to try. Is this available to the public yet? Is it better than Marquette?

The Mn1200 has not been released and may never be for whatever reasons. The breeding program at Minnesota has been shaken up a bit with Peter Hempsted being let go. Not a lot of info on that yet. It is a much more complex grape than Marquette, but is smaller and needs to ripen well or can be a bit vegetal or green tasting. The wines are superb since they have a very high skin and seed to juice ratio. Mainstream wine drinkers like Marquette better if done well, but real conniseurs prefer the Mn1200 hands down. It is a very good drinking wine being lower in acid than Marquette at two years, but when it hits three years it really shines. I have my small planting of about 100 vines of the Mn1200 so generally make a few hundred bottles of it a year since it is lower yielding than Marquette.

I've had my hands on a small quantity (5 gallons) of MN1200 from our NDSU test vineyards a few times and love love love the grape. Unfortunately it probably won't see the light of day as Rich has pointed out.

You may want to follow Tom Plocher's breeding efforts. He released Petite Pearl a few years ago and just named his newest TP 2-1-17 as Crimson Pearl. He has several other varieties nearing release. I've tasted the wines and they are amazing grapes.

You can follow his efforts here: http://www.petitepearlplus.com

Thanks Greg I just checked out the website, pretty cool stuff. I noticed in a previous post you lived in plainwell, I'm just a couple miles south here in cooper township

Latest posts

Back