MMMandarin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
One of my favorite things to eat is a Mandarin Orange.
I was reading some posts about skeeter pee and thought
why wouldn't an orange wine work.

The other day while at the store we found bags of these oranges so
we bought a couple and I used one of them to start a gallon of wine.

peeled and put into a food processor then into a strainer bag.

after primary it went into a gallon carboy.
this is the fastest I have ever seen a wine clear. see attached pic.
this is after only two weeks including primary.

funny thing is, if you look at the pic close,hanging from the neck of the
bottle to the bottom there is a net like structure that is circular like a tube
that has caught yeast.

It is pretty neat looking. don't know what it is but does not seem to be
affecting the wine at all.

later I will post the entire recipe and notes if any one is interested.
mandrin2.JPG

After that first picture was taken I racked.
This next one is what it looks like today.
0125121726.jpg

Here is the recipe Wayne.
This will come out to 14%
Depending on the final result I may do a small F-pack but it already tastes good as it is.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="807"><colgroup><col width="140"><col width="259"><col width="96"><col width="76"><col width="99"><col width="84"><col width="53"></colgroup><t><tr height="21">
<td ="xl65" style="height:15.75pt;width:105pt" height="21" width="140">Wine
type</td>
<td ="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:194pt" width="259">Ingredients</td>
<td ="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:72pt" width="96">Yeast</td>
<td ="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:57pt" width="76">Start date</td>
<td ="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:74pt" width="99">size</span></td>
<td ="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:63pt" width="84">sugar</td>
<td ="xl67" style="border-left:none;width:40pt" width="53">SG</td>
</tr></t></table>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="807"><colgroup><col width="140"><col width="259"><col width="96"><col width="76"><col width="99"><col width="84"><col width="53"></colgroup><t><tr height="60">
<td ="xl64" style="height:45.0pt;width:105pt" height="60" width="140">mandarin</td>
<td ="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:194pt" width="259">I 5 lb. bag
mandarin oranges water to 1.5 gallons 1/4 tsp acid blend. Pectic enzyme,
bentonite,</span></td>
<td ="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:72pt" width="96">lalvin ec-118</td>
<td ="xl66" style="border-left:none;width:57pt" width="76" align="right">12/26/2011</td>
<td ="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:74pt" width="99">1.5 gallons</td>
<td ="xl63" style="border-left:none;width:63pt" width="84">4lb</span></td>
<td ="xl65" style="border-left:none;width:40pt" width="53" align="right">1.110</td>
</tr></t></table>

Thoughts or comments would be welcome.

Tony

I am going to filter and bottle this over the weekend already.

I tasted this wine again last night and thought it needed a little sweetening.
we have never used sulphates in our wines so we always try and adjust the sugar up front
to where we want it to end up.
Is there a way to kill the yeast with out adding the sulphates so I can put some sugar in this with
out blowing up the bottles?

NO, not reliably, unless you spend a lot of money on a sterile filter setup. You not only would need sulfites, but also potassium sorbate to prevent renewed fermentation. Sulfites and sulfates are different.

ya Sulfites is what I meant. so much for not re reading what I wrote.
I guess it goes into the bottle as is them :) TY

may just have to wait and see what happens.
maybe sweeten when the bottle is opened if it needs it.

That is your best bet if you are anti-sulfites. Just remember even though you didn't add sulfites, they are still in your wine as a result of fermentation.

I am not totally anti anything we are just trying to add as few extra chemicals as possible. How long does it take them to disapate from the wine?

The sulfites don't totally "dissipate" from the wine until you open it, when they start to escape into the air as a gas. Inside the carboy and bottle, the sulfite compounds break down/recombine over time into molecules that don't protect the wine from contamination.
Wine is one of the very few 'nutritious' liquids that *can* be stored at room temperature without canning and without preservatives (the alcohol serving as a preservative), but it can be hit or miss without sulfites to kill the yeast and other contaminants from slowly building over time. A little bit of sulfite goes a long way to solving that, and at levels that you won't taste or notice. For the same reasons as you, I personally don't use bentonite or fining agents anymore (except on rare occasions of persistent haziness) or sorbate, but I will always add K-metabisufite, albeit in smaller doses than the kit instructions recommend.

Use a wine conditioner. It is glycerin so it's not ferment able and will add sweetness

Pete

Also just had the thought, nutrisweet or stevia may be an option. Does anyone have any thoughts on those ?

Pete

Pete
Thise are ok to use to sweeten a wine aftr it is decanted but dont use it to sweeten a wine and then bottle it. i GURANTEE YOU WILL NOT LIKE THE RESULTS.

<div align="center">"Thise are ok to use to sweeten a wine aftr it is decanted but dont use
it to sweeten a wine and then bottle it. i GURANTEE YOU WILL NOT LIKE
THE RESULTS."

What happens Waldo?

paubin said:
Use a wine conditioner. It is glycerin so it's not ferment able and will add sweetness

Pete

That probably depends on the manufacturer. Here is a description of one source of Wine Conditioner. See the ingredient list and Caution statement near the bottom.
<div ="product-ination col2-set"><div ="product-collateral col-1"><dl style="height: 448px;" id="collateral-tabs" ="collateral-tabs tab-list"><dt style=": 4;" ="tab first active">Description</span></dt><dd ="tab-container std"><div ="tab-">

ABOUT THIS PRODUCT: (SGR310) Wine Conditioner reduces harshness in a finished wine by sweetening it to a desired finish. Turn a dry wine into a sweet wine or use just enough Wine Conditioner to take the dry edge off of your wine. Reduces any wine`s aging time by making it drinkable sooner. Very convenient and easy to use. Simply add to taste. Comes with directions.

DIRECTIONS: Before adding Conditioner to any wine verify with a hydrometer that its fermentation is complete. The wine should be clear and moved off of any sediment into a clean container and ready to bottle. Add the Wine Conditioner directly to the wine. It is important that the wine be stirred thoroughly to evenly disperse the sugars.

DOSAGE: Wine Conditioner can be added at any dosage to personal taste. Be careful not to add too much. You may want to take a measured sample of the wine and add measured amounts of Wine Conditioner to the sample to establish a dosage that is to your liking. This eliminates any risk of over-sweetening the entire batch.

MINIMUM DOSAGE: If less than 2 ounces per gallon is used then also add Potassium Sorbate</font> at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to eliminate any chance of re-fermentation.

INGREDIENTS: Liquid invert sugars (fructose and glucose), potassium sorbate.
</span></dd></dl><div id="fancy-tmp"><div id="fancy-loading">
<div id="fancy-"><div id="fancy-wrap"><div id="fancy-outer"><div id="fancy-bg-n" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-ne" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-e" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-se" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-s" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-sw" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-w" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-bg-nw" ="fancy-bg"><div id="fancy-"><a id="fancy-"></a><div id="fancy-title"></span></span>

alright so it has been a few months sense bottle and I like to open one now and then to "Test" the progress..... Wifey and I both had a glass and to our surprise somthing very strange happened.

I am pretty sure my Tongue tried to escape down my @$$ lol

way too much acid... we have never been much for testing but I think I saw the light last night lol ....

sour_animated.gif

Back