Mosti Mondiale MM Barolo With AllGrape Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinividivici

Reaction score
The kit came yesterday and am doing my first kit with a grape pack.

I've read the instructions a number of times this morning, and have a couple of questions.

The instructions say to take the first SG reading AFTER primary fermentation. I always take a SG before pitching the yeast and use that as my starting SG. I suppose it won't hurt to get a reading anyway before fermentation, but just curious about this. And do you do it before or after adding the grape pack?

I was strongly advised on another thread of mine to do MLF on Reds. However, the MM instructions mention nothing about this. I'd like to know whether or not you recommend MLF with this kit before I get to the phase where I'm adding KMeta.

I hate general instructions that cover a wide range of kits.

I appreciate your comments!

Bob

I am sure that has to be a typo of sorts. You would have no way of knowing your ABV without a starting SG.

What is this exactly? Mosti has some frozen pails that I could see doing MLF on but if this is a kit of ANY sort I would strongly, repeat strongly advise against MLF.

I am sure that has to be a typo of sorts. You would have no way of knowing your ABV without a starting SG.

What is this exactly? Mosti has some frozen pails that I could see doing MLF on but if this is a kit of ANY sort I would strongly, repeat strongly advise against MLF.

Mike,

The MM kit is not frozen nor a full 6 gallon juice bucket. It has ~ 4.28 gallons of juice and ~ 9 lbs of grape pack. Water is needed to bring it to the 6 gallon mark. It's from George's Fine Vine Wines.

Here's a snippet of the accompanying instructions. Look at step #5:

2012-12-08wineinstructions.jpg
2012-12-08wineinstructions.jpg

Sure doesn't look like a typo! Anyway, I took the starting SG and it is 1.130. And the instructions don't mention getting the must temperature up to the 65-75 degree range before adding the yeast and nutrients.

Bob
a>

Last edited:
Bob, I always like to know the SG before fermentation starts. With a grape pack kit, you will see a slight increase in SG if you take the reading immediately upon preparing the kit for fermentation and if you take another reading after about 24 hours. This is because there will be a contribution of sugar from the grape pack.

Were it I, I would take the first reading just before pitching the yeast and then 24 hours later and I would use that second reading as my "starting SG."

Bob, sorry, I did not see your last line on the post immediately above. Are you sure of that SG 1.130? That seems very high and, fermented to dry (i.e. SG 0.992 or so) would indicate and ABV of about 18%. Are you sure you added enough water?

Last edited:
They obviously think winemakers could care less about the ABV of the wine they are making (or perhaps they don't want you to know your ABV for some weird reason).

Bob, I always like to know the SG before fermentation starts. With a grape pack kit, you will see a slight increase in SG if you take the reading immediately upon preparing the kit for fermentation and if you take another reading after about 24 hours. This is because there will be a contribution of sugar from the grape pack.

Were it I, I would take the first reading just before pitching the yeast and then 24 hours later and I would use that second reading as my "starting SG."

I agree. I took the SG before pitching the yeast.

What are your thoughts on MLF with a kit like this? I've had two different schools of thought here by two very reputable posters. Mike is one, as he is in this thread. I'm not sure if it's a personal preference or a good rule to follow if making a red wine kit.

I would also love to see a good, step by step instruction set that is not a general guide that's included in these kits.

Thanks,

Bob

MLF is not necessary on kits, in fact you could be really messing it up if you do.

The best explanation as to why you should never attempt MLF on a kit wine comes right from Daniel Pambianchi's book Techniques in Home Winemaking.

Do NOT attempt MLF on kit wines because these types of juices have been tartrate-stabilzed during their production and thus contain a very high proportion of malic acid, which would be converted to lactic acid. The resulting wine would have very little acid, and a high pH making it very susceptible to bacterial infections....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Mike. I know he's an authority from what I've read. And that snippet in bold makes a lot of sense.

Does that apply also to fresh juice buckets that are only stabilized for shipment?

Bob

Fresh Juice buckets can be put through MLF, I've done it with 6 so far, with real nice results.

Agreed.

Fresh juice buckets have not been "processed" so you can treat them just like fresh grapes.

Tom & Mike, thanks. Another MLF mystery solved for me today. :)

You know I had another question coming, though:

The kit included two bags of oak chips, one light and one dark. When it's time to add the chips, do I choose one? I'm assuming the darker one is for adding a lot more oak flavor?

Bob

Bob

I believe you have two different kinds of oak chips. I would add them both. The kit claims heavy oak, so if you like heavy oak add them both. I have never make a kit that gave a choice.

Kevin

Bob

I believe you have two different kinds of oak chips. I would add them both. The kit claims heavy oak, so if you like heavy oak add them both. I have never make a kit that gave a choice.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. Will do... :sm

I have this kit in bulk aging now. Both packets of oak go in the primary fermenter.

I have this kit in bulk aging now. Both packets of oak go in the primary fermenter.

Thanks, Tom. Did you follow the kit instructions or tweak them? When you racked to the carboy for aging, how much KMeta did you add?

I'd like to use your experience with the kit as I progress along if that's okay.

Cheers!
Bob

Bob, sorry, I did not see your last line on the post immediately above. Are you sure of that SG 1.130? That seems very high and, fermented to dry (i.e. SG 0.992 or so) would indicate and ABV of about 18%. Are you sure you added enough water?[/QUOTE]

Rocky,

I just saw your edited post above. Well, I took three readings on the hydrometer and it was 1.130 each time at the bottom of the meniscus. And it was after I added the grape pack. Would that jump it up that much?

Re the water, I put about a liter in the empty bag to get the rest of the juice out and then after I added the grape pack, the must was at the 6 gallon mark. I was afraid to add to the very top due to having another explosive fermentation like my Carmenere a while back.

Bob

"Re the water, I put about a liter in the empty bag to get the rest of the juice out and then after I added the grape pack, the must was at the 6 gallon mark. I was afraid to add to the very top due to having another explosive fermentation like my Carmenere a while back."

Bob, this might be the source of the high SG. When I have a grape pack, I mix in the juice and water up to the 23 liter (6 gallon) mark and then add the grape pack. Depending on the volume of the grape pack, you seem to be about that much short on water, which would explain the high reading. What size fermenter do you have? Should be a 7.9 gallon.

"Re the water, I put about a liter in the empty bag to get the rest of the juice out and then after I added the grape pack, the must was at the 6 gallon mark. I was afraid to add to the very top due to having another explosive fermentation like my Carmenere a while back."

Bob, this might be the source of the high SG. When I have a grape pack, I mix in the juice and water up to the 23 liter (6 gallon) mark and then add the grape pack. Depending on the volume of the grape pack, you seem to be about that much short on water, which would explain the high reading. What size fermenter do you have? Should be a 7.9 gallon.

I just checked and that seems right. It's an LD Carlson bucket and says 6.5 gallons at the inside ridge of the bucket. Looks like I could add another gallon or so but would bring to close to the top. Should I add a gallon of warm water? Hasn't started fermenting yet so should be safe to do I think.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, I found this extract from the directions on-line for your kit. (My underline.)​

2. Empty the contents of your selected​
Wine Concentrate/ Juice Bag into
your
Primary Fermenter. Upon emptying the bag, rinse the bag with
approximately 1 liter of water and empty its contents within your
Primary
Fermenter
. Proceed adding more water to your Primary Fermenter; up to
23 liters (your
Primary Fermenter should have a mark near the top of the

pail representing the 23L mark).

Last edited:
Yep, make it to 23L BEFORE the grape pack! You definitely need to bring it down with some H2O ASAP.

Latest posts

Back