Mosti Mondiale MM Alljuice Masters Edition Amarone - WOW

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grasshopper

Retired Newbie
Reaction score
I started the MM Alljuice Masters Edition Amarone in early October, racked into a carboy for secondary fermentation at day 19 without adding the sorbate or clarifiers. SG at that time was 0.998 so it was mostly done. Yesterday (day 127) I racked into another carboy to get the wine off of the fine lees and to add some k-meta (1/8 tsp) and sorbate.

I poured the fine lees into an 8 oz wine glass and let them settle in the fridge overnight. Today I sampled the upper more clear layer as I prepared to use these dregs to cook a lamb shank in a red wine sauce. It never made it to the pot. This stuff was so good, even full of sediment and young, that I drank it instead.

I recently did this same procedure on a CC Red Mountain Cab (at 5 months) and bottled a RJS Super Tuscan (at 7.5 months). The Amarone is much better than either of these at only 4 months.

Now I am faced with the dilemma of when to bottle the Amarone knowing that it is not going to last long once it is in a package where it can be drunk.

Grasshopper, that sounds like a winning situation however you go with it. I suggest putting at least half a case of the Amarone away (a case would be better) and trying to "forget about it" for about 2 years. I sympathize with you, though. I have the same problem. I think the oldest (homemade) wine in my cellar is from early 2011.

Grasshopper, What if you bottled half and put the rest in a 3 gal. carboy. You can drink say 1 bottle a month then bottle remaining wine. That way it will last you 2 1/2 years. I'm having the same conflict with my hi end Cab. Lol. Bakervinyard

Patience Grasshopper. Do what Bakervineyards says. Get a three gallon carboy and as Rocky says fuggetaboutit.

Bakervinyard & Tonyt, I think I am going to go you guys one better and start another batch of this. That way I can keep 6 gal in a carboy until I finish off this first batch. It should have an age of several months by the time I need to bottle it. :) (seriously BV, one bottle a month?? :dg)

Grasshopper, just trying to help. Lol. I'm just think'n that you have other bottles in your cellar. Do like the idea of making another one though. BV

Do the 3 gallon and use 375s with the rest to quench your curiosity along the way.

I'm working on my third RJ Premier Amarone kit, seems like I just can't get enough stockpiled!

Back