MLF malolatic fermentation discussion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
Hey guys Id like to get some good discussions going on MLF, For those of you who dont know MLF is the process of Malic acid transforming into a softer more drinkable Lactic acid. Or atleast thats how wine making for dummies described it.. lol

They mention in this book about being careful not to bottle a MLF in progess or one that could undergo MLF when its in the bottle, apparently this can cause built up pressure and become bottle bombs. So im a little worried about bottleing since I dont know if my Apple wine and red grape wine are undergoing MLF or are going too.

Also iv heard that using Sorbate with wine thats undergone MLF can ruin the flavour of the wine, and give it a geranium type smell. So im hesitant to use my pottasium sorbate now too..

Last edited:
I asked Wine Makers Magazine about adding potassium sorbate to wine that underwent malolactic fermentation. The response was published in the wine wizard in the Feb/ March 2012 magazine. They said not to use it because it will react negatively with lactic bacteria and cause a geranium type odor. They suggested a fine filtering of the wine and using sulfites for stabilization.

Dont use sorbate.

My one wine I did MLF to, I allowed plenty of extra time at temperature after activity subsided (a few months while oaking it in the fermenter). K-meta will also inhibit and kill ML bacteria. They were bottled in 2010, and so far havent shown any latent bottle fermentation.

Be careful. Sulfite doesn't kill the bacteria, it just creates an inhospitable environment for it so it doesn't grow and multiply. Sulfite levels drop over time and if it gets to a low enough level of free S02 and the temperature warms a little, it can renew in the bottle after a while.

I asked the mlf question a while back, and I believe Wade mentioned I could use Lysozome to ensure MLF has stopped and will not restart. I've used it three times now and haven't had any issues.

Lysozyme is something that can be used to prevent mlf especially in whites. It is more reliable than sulfites in preventing it so you can keep suklfite levels down a bit while insuring that you don't have an unwanted mlf.

Latest posts

Back