MLF malolatic fermentation Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
Hey guys Id like to get some good discussions going on MLF, For those of you who dont know MLF is the process of Malic acid transforming into a softer more drinkable Lactic acid. Or atleast thats how wine making for dummies described it.. lol

They mention in this book about being careful not to bottle a MLF in progess or one that could undergo MLF when its in the bottle, apparently this can cause built up pressure and become bottle bombs. So im a little worried about bottleing since I dont know if my Apple wine and red grape wine are undergoing MLF or are going too.

Also iv heard that using Sorbate with wine thats undergone MLF can ruin the flavour of the wine, and give it a geranium type smell. So im hesitant to use my pottasium sorbate now too..

Well if you have sulfited your wine that will keep MLF in check. I also advice anyone doing MLF to use the Chromatography test paper to ensure you are done. This fermentation makes a harsher wine much more palatable which in turn will make it drinkable faster but its a very slight fermentation usually and can be hard to tell sometimes when its even working.

Latest posts

Back