Mixed up DB but out of EC-1118

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Yesterday I mixed up 2 different batches of Dragon Blood. I was going to pitch the yeast today only to realize that I only have 1 packet of EC-1118. I do have a 71B...if i use that, do you think it will significantly change the flavor profile? I'm making them for a friend and I don't want her to be disappointed in the taste. P.S. I could make the hour trip to the homebrew store but I'm dealing with a damn headache and really not feeling like making the drive today. I appreciate any opinions!

It will probably make some difference in taste, but it might actually be a better choice.

Words - about 71B - A semi-dry white wine yeast that will enhance fruit flavors and add fruity esters. Can be used with whites, rosés, nouveaus, and concentrates.

Words about EC-1118 - A low foaming, vigorous and fast fermenter good for both reds and whites. It is also ideal for ciders and sparkling wines. (I usually think neutral yeast)

It will probably be a good idea to, at some point mix the two varieties together to minimize differences.

you can do a yeast starter. take 20ml water for each gallon heat to 110deg. add some Go-Fermat 1.25 grams per gallon add the ec1118 yeast let it percolate for about 20 minutes add a little sugar. split the batch of yeast between batches of wine

It will probably make some difference in taste, but it might actually be a better choice.

Words - about 71B - A semi-dry white wine yeast that will enhance fruit flavors and add fruity esters. Can be used with whites, rosés, nouveaus, and concentrates.

Words about EC-1118 - A low foaming, vigorous and fast fermenter good for both reds and whites. It is also ideal for ciders and sparkling wines. (I usually think neutral yeast)

It will probably be a good idea to, at some point mix the two varieties together to minimize differences.

Thanks for the info! The batches are different versions...a straight quad-berry one and a 2/3 grape - 1/3 mixed berry one...so mixing them isn't an option. With the info you shared though that 71B is a good alternative, I think I'll use it on the grape/berry as these batches tend to turn out slightly different each time anyway depending on the grapes and berries used.

you can do a yeast starter. take 20ml water for each gallon heat to 110deg. add some Go-Fermat 1.25 grams per gallon add the ec1118 yeast let it percolate for about 20 minutes add a little sugar. split the batch of yeast between batches of wine

Thanks! I was wondering if it was possible to make one package work for two batches 😊

One more thing to note: 71b can metabolize some of the acid in your must. That may not be what you want. However, I think this won't be a big deal, because it metabolizes malic acid. The principal acid in berries (and, of course, lemons) is citric acid, not malic, so it may not matter. Malic is found in apples and stone fruits (and to a smaller extent in other fruits).

Back