Missouri Valley Wine Compeition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will both show better next year Jon. They are very drinkable now, but will excel in a year. Remember also a lot of them are grown in Missouri so likely the competition in that class was very strong.

They will both show better next year Jon. They are very drinkable now, but will excel in a year. Remember also a lot of them are grown in Missouri so likely the competition in that class was very strong.

Very true!! There are a lot of entries for the Chardonel and Seyval - they are popular grapes in MO.

I was tickled to death to get that close to a bronze for my first year.

Not to worried - I think they taste great - but i think you are right - they will be better next showing.

I can really taste a difference even in the past 2-3 months.

This year it actually went international - there was 1 Canadian province entered in :h

Congrats Jon!

Here is a quick question. Can you reenter the same wine (vintage) year after year in the same competition? That would seem sorta unfair (unless it was your wine of course!).

Congrats Jon!

Here is a quick question. Can you reenter the same wine (vintage) year after year in the same competition? That would seem sorta unfair (unless it was your wine of course!).

Good question - i don't know. There is nothing in the rules that states you can't enter a wine that you entered from the previous year.

So maybe you can...

congrats jon!! that is awesome! was the chardonel 2010 or 2011? st. francois chardonel i got 2010 had a brix of 23! that was the batch that convinced me to get a hand press! made all the difference in the world with 2011 catawba!!

congrats jon!! that is awesome! was the chardonel 2010 or 2011? st. francois chardonel i got 2010 had a brix of 23! that was the batch that convinced me to get a hand press! made all the difference in the world with 2011 catawba!!

2010 vintage. I am not surprised though - did some things different with the 2011 vintage - i was able to cold ferment them - and that alone has made a huge difference - I think i am going to age in the carboy a few months longer as well before bottling.

All in all - was happy with the score of my white for my first year making those. Always room for improvement!!!

Congrats Jon!

Negative....Once you win you cannot enter the same wine again in most competitions. You can enter the same wine though in as many different competitions as you want.

I flunked out of this one. Entered a MMR Nero dAvola. bottled last march, started Oct of 2010. I think it is one of my absolutely best. In fact I hated foreiting a bottle for the competition. Now I wish I had it back.

Last edited:
I flunked out of this one. Entered a MMR Nero dAvola. bottled last march, started Oct of 2011. I think it is one of my absolutely best. In fact I hated foreiting a bottle for the competition. Now I wish I had it back.

That's all that really matters - you like - don't let anybody tell you differently!!

Back