RJ Spagnols Missing ingredients in wine kit? (grand cru international barolo)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbylet

Junior
Reaction score
Hey there, I am trying to figure out if there are some things missing from my wine kit or the instructions just are not very well written.
I have a Grand Cru International - Italian Barolo Wine Kit
Instructions list what is included in the kit and it lists the chemicals, and then it has an "Also in kit" column with yeast and lots of things they say are optional -
oak
genuwine grape skins
elderflowers
suss reserve
sweetening or finishing blend
dehydrated fruit
The oak and grape skins are the only things in the box from that list.
I was excited about the elderberries because I have wanted to add them to wine as have been reading a lot about their benefits..
Don't know what suss reserve is
Was no F-pack so imagining they just mean I can add wine conditioner after the fact, and assume they just mean add extra fruit for body and flavor if I choose.
Sorry to be so wordy, this is my first kit with grape skins, and second red, and hoped their website would elaborate but doesn't. If elderberries would add a lot to it I can perhaps restrain myself long enough to order some before I start the kit!

elderflowers
suss reserve
sweetening or finishing blend
dehydrated fruit
first three items above are usually only with whites
dehydrated fruit means raisins (usually only with amarone) or elderberries. RJS includes elderberries only with the reds that they think it is appropriate, so apparently not Barolo. I haven't made this kit, so do not know what to expect.

Just a reminder...take everything out of the box. Sometimes things are hidden underneath the juice/concentrate.

Steve

You will find that the kits come with generic instructions and the "otherstuff" will be in other kits. Some will not have oak, elderflowers etc. but it saves them printing all different instructions. I have discovered this making different wines of the same kits name such as Grand Cru...whatever...The instructions will be exactly the same.

I have to agree with Steve. I just picked up the Grand Cru International Italian Brunello, and it came with Oak and dried grape skins. If something from that list is not in the kit, I'm sure it was not meant to be included.

I can't wait to try the Brunello. I had a homemade one when i was away last week and it was great. Took me a while but I found out it was a Winexpert limited edition wine from awhile back.

If this GCI is even 2/3 as good I'll be very happy. I was gonna get the Cru Select but my funds are low and the GCI was 10% off. I'm sure it'll turn out good.

Brad

If this GCI is even 2/3 as good I'll be very happy. I was gonna get the Cru Select but my funds are low and the GCI was 10% off. I'm sure it'll turn out good.

Brad

The GCI Brunello won gold at last years' amateur winemaking contest and I've heard good things about it, so you should not be disappointed.

You have everything you need right there. I havent tried these smaller grape skin kits yet but have heard good reviews of them.

The GCI Brunello won gold at last years' amateur winemaking contest and I've heard good things about it, so you should not be disappointed.

Great!! Once I get more wines in my collection, I will be bumping up to the 15L+ kits. I'd rather drink 10-12L or lower kits right now since I most likely won't be able to give them the time they deserve.

Great!! Once I get more wines in my collection, I will be bumping up to the 15L+ kits. I'd rather drink 10-12L or lower kits right now since I most likely won't be able to give them the time they deserve.

BMAC, I agree with what you're doing. I started out by making the more affordable kits that were quicker and was very happy with them. Once we started getting the bigger whites it was hard to go back. There is a big differance as you grow and start trying the bigger stuff. The old saying you won't know what your missing till you try it.

Back