Minute Maid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SG reading 1.018. Gonna rack it to the carboy in a little bit.

Sounds wonderful! I am glad to know you can use these so when I clean out my freezer of fruit I know there are lots more options! Good luck and thanks for the info!

Hey!!!

I made a really great peach wine with three bigcans of Dole cling peaches!
I was a bit timid at first about how they'd come out but they turned out great.

Good for you Gaudet!!!
You started somthing outside the box.

Handyman

handyman454 said:
Hey!!!

I made a really great peach wine with three bigcans of Dole cling peaches!
I was a bit timid at first about how they'd come out but they turned out great.

Good for you Gaudet!!!
You started somthing outside the box.

Handyman

Well, we'll find out. Its fermenting extremely well. But taste will be the final test..... And we've got to wait on that one...............

You can make a great wine out of a lot of stuff. When i 1st started and really had a tight budget I hit a great sale at Shop Rite with a can can sale where everything in a can was at half price. I picked up around 26 cans of Pears in heavy syrup and it made 1 of the best wines Ive made to date.

Wade, I've heard you speak of this Pear wine before.
Could you post the receipe, or a link to it?
I might want to give it a try.
Thanks!

I used 18 cans and they were the big ones and 8 lbs of sugar. I think I would add 22 cans this time and less sugar. I started with an SG of 1.090 and would soot for 1.080 this time as it was hot for quite some time. I back sweetened with pear juice that I bought at a nature food store and strained it through a colander and then coffee filter and then added it to my wine which was not clear. Doing this this way will cloud it back up so either lots of time or SuperKleer will be needed. It was 1 of my first wines so SuperKleer was the choice. It did make the SuperKleer work for its money.I dont recall how much acid blend I needed or what amounts of nutrient but I would use 1 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp of energizer if done again and i most likely will. I would use Red Star Cotes Des Blanc east also. That was a 6 gallon batch.

One thing I noticed when shopping for juices to make the Pomegranate/Blueberrry wine. Watch the ingredients. Besides looking for additives look to see what the main ingredient is. It will be the first few listed. Many of the brands had alot of apple juice in them. It will say Pomegranate/ Blueberry or pomegranate/cranberry but is loaded with apple juice. I didn't notice it right away and was wanting as pure a juice as I can find. Just FYI !I am generally pretty picky what i make wine out of.

I noticed, but the flavor was so good, that I wanted to try it anyways. I think it had apple, grape, and possibly pear juice................ Along with pomegranate and blueberry as the primary flavors. As long as it makes a good wine, I don't have a problem with it. But I can see where you are coming from.

In the frozen juice sections of some larger stores they have pure juice concentrates...the 12oz cans run about $4-5 but the reconstitute to a larger quantity fo pure juice...like cranberry and cherry.

I also have noticed in the health Food sections of these larger stores they have pure juice in qt bottles...things like Only Black Cherry, Just Cherry...etc. They cost more, but sure can beef up the reconstituted bottles of juice when making wine.

I like lots of flavor in the fruit wines...whether made with fresh, frozen or store bought juice....

Just my 2¢.

Update on this wine.

I racked it today. The SG was 0.992 so I guess the yeasties were done. I stabilized with K-sorb and K-meta, and backsweetened with 1/2 cup sugar per gallon or 3 cups sugar. I degassed with mix stir and used the brake bleeder to finish off the degassing. After which I placed it back under airlock. I will be moving this into the closet to bulk age and clear for about 2 months. It smells wonderful. I didn't taste it after back sweetening. But I should have. With a predicted ABV of 12% (11.98% if you do the math) I am thinking this will be pretty darn good. <a href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMichael%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" target="_blank">
smiley1.gif

</a>

Edited by: gaudet

Did you take an SG reading or anything during sweetening it? This is 1 step that should not be done blind cause if you over sweeten it you will have to mix it with a dryer wine to undo it. Sweetening a wine is done in small increments to taste!

I know I should have been a little more precise, but I think I am ok.

I just took a reading and it came back 1.002 So I guess I am in the clear..........
smiley17.gif

So I take it you think it will be ok .......... I remember you saying to back sweeten to no more than 1.008

I did raise it over 0.008 by adding 3 cups of sugar, so that ought to take away some of the dryness. I can always add another cup or two before I bottle to raise it some some.

I would never say that as sweetness is a personal preference and veryones taste vary. I typically make my fruit wines right around there or a tad more depending on what I feel it needs to brig out the fruit. I do tend to like a sweet fruit wine and dry reds.

Taste is subjective...............

I will have to see what it tastes like when I go to bottle it. If it isn't to my liking, then I will add some more sugar. But as always I appreciate your input.

Today I added a packet of isinglass and topped it off with a little water to minimize headspace. I will let it ride for the next two weeks to clear. This is my first time using isinglass. I will let you know how it works for me. The wine is only a month old, but I had not added any fining agents until now. Its a very rich purple color, very murky, but it smells great.

Isinglass is a decent clarifier and is typically whats included in a Winexpert kit. Keep us up on the progress.

Two weeks is gone and its still as murky as the day I put the isinglass in solution. What should my next step be, or should I just be patient and wait this one out a bit longer?

Latest posts

Back