Mini Jet filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

univity

Reaction score
I want to invest in one to filter the wines - I take pride in having almost no sediment in my wine which I am having a hard time with reds. What other gear do I need to order with it if anything?

Assuming you have all the usual basic equipment, it comes with everything you need to use it (main unit with pump, plates, filters, hoses, and anti-sediment tip).It even comes with a stainless wire to make the hose stiffer so you can place the tip anywhere in your carboy you want (like out of the lees!)
Oh yeh, cold stabilization helps alot, too.I used to get some wine diamonds even with my filtered wines (especially from those 23L kits). Cold stabilization at 30F for 2 weeks before filtering takes care of it - any diamonds settle out then instead of in your bottles. Haven't had any diamonds since I started doing that.Edited by: Mark

Order extra filter pad sets. I use mostly Number 2 pads. Hardly ever number1 pads. Number 2's will do it most of the times. I will say if you do a red with a grape pack, filter twice. Once with a number 3 then again with a number 2. Just order pad sets and have them on hand.

Agreed. I think mine came with 5 sets of the number 2's (so far I've only needed/used number 2's) so you should be good to get started. Probably should order the 1's or 3's if you think you'll need em, though.

I can't remember if mine came with any pads at all. I did buy it second hand though but it was still new in the box. Maybe the original buyer removed them. As stated, number 2 pads will do 99.9% of what you need. I did filter a couple Cellar Craft kits with the grape pack that I filtered with a number 2 (polishing)filter. The Amarone still has sediment in the bottles. This kept me from entering them in competitions although it was one of the People's Choice favorites at the last Wine Stock. THe course and polishing filters are all IMHO you would need with the polishing the main used filter pad.

yea just ordered - why isnt it here yet?

hehe

any tips for useage appreciated, but since I am a woman, I actually will read the instructions when I get it!

Woot just got it today - of course my husband decided that after putting it off for 4 months today would be the day he puts the second coat of dry-lock on the basement walls - prolly not a good idea to be removing any airlocks for a couple days with the smell down there :p

Back