Mini Auto Siphon (for One Gallon Jugs)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
Does anybody have the mini version (for one gallon jugs) of the auto siphon? If so, does it work well?

I've actually been able to get my regular-size auto siphon to work for one gallon jugs, with a little effort. But I imagine half-gallon jugs would impossible with it.

I have the 3/8" bigger one for normal carboys and it works fine for gallon jugs, dont see why the shorter version of this would work any different.

I have a mini one and it pretty much only works for the gallon size. I would prefer to just have one thinner long variety like the new full size ones. The mini's are just too short for anything but the gallons. I find I rarely use it.

I have the 1/2 auto and it only fits in full size carboys.
smiley19.gif
I was going to get the mini for one gallon.

Get the 3/8" and keep it for 1 gallons and as a spare for 6 gallons.

I have the regular 1/2. 3/8 and the mini siphon. It is just a short 3/8.I actually find myself just using the regular 3/8 siphon most of the time. It fits in the one gallon jugs I have. I do use the mini siphon quite a bit on the one gallon jugs but the regular size 3/8 works for me as well. I do find the mini model easier to use in my work area.

I just got one of the mini 3/8" for the gallon jugs but haven't used it yet

I just bought a new 3/8"and a mini.The new 3/8"is the same size as themini I bought.IfIwould have known that at the time I wouldn't have bought the mini.

Works great. I used it tonight on my one gallon strawberry batch. My 1/2 autosiphon would not fit in one gallon jugs.

Chopper, I have the mini auto siphon and it is just a little more manageable in the 1 gal jug than the larger one.

I've seen it listed in the online catalog but from the pictures I cant tell how it works. We need to one of those tutorials to see one in action.

They don't really need a tutorial. All you do is lift the center sliding piece up towards the top, insert the whole thing in the wine- be sure to put the hose in the vessel to be filled first. Next push the center sliding tube down. This creates a pumping action which starts the siphon. Rack the wine as usual, but it is a breeze to start.
smiley4.gif

It's pretty simple mjd. You just pump the racking cane in the center up and down and that forces the wine thought your tube. Sure beats sucking on the tube to get a siphon going.

Mjd, In the “Finishing” segment of the video for the Cellar Craft kits George uses the auto-siphon.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Joseph said:
Mjd, In the “Finishing” segment of the video for the Cellar Craft kits George uses the auto-siphon.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Yep, your right. I reckon I need one of those and from the looks of it I am gonna need a hose clamp too. I wonder who George had clean up the wine on the floor¿

Latest posts

Back