Metallic taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Drew

Junior
Reaction score
I have some 2020 Zin still in stainless that has a metallic taste, any suggestions to correct?

I have some 2020 Zin still in stainless that has a metallic taste, any suggestions to correct?
Hold your nose when tasting? 🤣

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Seriously, I have no idea. I don’t use stainless. Stainless is used in commercial settings so it must be fixable, or perhaps not related to the stainless tank at all.

No suggestions but I do have some information -

Wine related causes - I've read brett and being on the lees too long could possibly cause a metallic taste.

Health wise - diabetes, allergies, gastritis are a few of many possibilities.

Medication issues - antibiotics, cold medications, among others.

Personal anecdote, I once had wine in a Yeti stainless coffee mug and it instantly tasted metallic. Never again. Perhaps the flavor would go away once the wine is no longer in contact with the stainless for a while?

Maybe you could get a second or third opinion?

And welcome to WMT!

as long as your tanks are truly stainless 304, is fine, they were clean, no oils or welding Marks, it wouldn't be the tanks fault.

What @winechef said, plus there’s also at least 308 and 316. Once these are fully passivated and there is zero free iron on the surface they rarely if ever react with food unless they get badly scratched. Did you/ can you inspect the interior surface for rust?
This is very unusual in my experience, I make extensive use of stainless kegs for aging and have never had this happen.

Back