messed up again K-meta overdose.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
I have screwed up, again, by overestimating the amount of wine in my barrel, before racking. I have given twice the dose of k-meta to my wine than recomended.

I estimate I have put 100ppm/litre rather than 50ppm.

Would aerating ie oxidising the k-meta to produce KHSO4 solve my problem.

Does k-meta cause your heart to race?

You are good. The legal limit is 350 ppm total in the USA and 100 is below the sensory level for most everyone. Just know you can skip a few future additions, depending on the pH of your wine.

Commercial wines have that much and more. Is the wine finished? As in ready to bottle?
Not yet its still needs a second or third racking to clear it up, I understand.

I did test it to see if it still tasted good, it does :)

However my heart was pounding last night, possibly induced by the sulphite, or maybe the salt in my food.

It sounds as if you are just starting into aging... it is amazing how much sulfite a young wine will bind up. Be sure to test the sulfite level before the next racking, don't assume you do not need to adjust.

It sounds as if you are just starting into aging... it is amazing how much sulfite a young wine will bind up. Be sure to test the sulfite level before the next racking, don't assume you do not need to adjust.

I have not as yet noticed any sulfite testing kit sold on this island, possibly because I have not been looking for it.

What is recommended for sulfite testing, what do I need to look for ??????

Latest posts

Back