Cherry foamed up when I added k-meta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
I added 1/4 tsp pot. sorb and 1 tablet each crushed k-meta to my 4 - 4 liter bottles of Walker's cherry juice wine today so I can start bottling it soon. The pot. sorb. had no effect but when I added the crushed k-meta tablet there was almost instant violent foaming that went on a couple minutes then the foaming subsided. This did not happen when I added the same to my first batch of Walker's blackberry and the Walker's plum. I'm thinking I have a lot of degassing to do on the cherry?

Larry
(3 years retired now and busier than ever):D

Just to make sure, you added potassium metabisulfite, not potassium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate?

You mention crushing a tablet, so I presume that would be metabisulfite. If so, the foaming is undoubtedly due to saturation with carbon dioxide. The meta displace the dissolved gas from solution. You will want to thoroughly degas before bottling.

How old is the wine? It is not still fermenting, is it? Sorbate and sweetening should only be done after the wine is good and clear of any yeast and haziness.

Latest posts

Back