Mosti Mondiale Meglioli 2008

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See what you did JW, your bottles looked so tempting, that I was FORCED to order the Meglioli Amarone last night. Darn forum
smiley2.gif

So I get home and start unpacking this newest box of joy, first thing I notice is there are four oak packs....two different kinds.
20080223_050955_000_0059_Small.jpg

Would be interesting if anyone knows what the idea here is, what is extracted from each and how it plays into the final product.
Then I pulled out the instructions, glanced through them, pretty much standard to the Amarone, checked the bag of ingredients, all looks O.K.
20080223_051253_000_0060_Small.jpg

So I lay the box over, pull the sweet juice bag out on the table...and think ,Dang I must of cut myself, I'm bleeding a little...
20080223_051645_000_0061_Small.jpg

Turns out we got a little leaker, so with my cat like reflexes I get it in the bucket but quick!
20080223_051915_000_0064_Small.jpg

Level looks close, so minimal loss I think, a little investigative work to try and see what went wrong....
20080223_052124_000_0063_Small.jpg

Outside of box shows no sign of any damage, hmmmm..
20080223_052308_000_0062_Small.jpg

Then. looking inside I see it was actually the reinforcing liner, right in the corner was a little shard of cardboard, amazing it could work through this thick bag...but I guess it happens. Maybe got to close to Waldo's house on the way up, and lightning was striking. Anyway, in the true spirit of it all, got the bentonite hydrated and in, and the yeast pitched. Hopefully it will all be O.K.
By the way, the must taste terrific!

The heavily toasted oak, most likely french oak, will give off a vanilla character and soft tannins. The lighter oak, will give off the standard oak taste that everyone knows very well in Australian wines, as well as some harsher tannins that are close to black tea. Bitterness is required in Amarone.

Thanks Dean, while the instructions are the same, this is the Merlot. Already signs that fermentation is taking off, thats a good sign!

Thanks Jim, if it wasn't for the cost of these kits I might play a little with the oak, but alas, I will follow directions closely. Ferment is going like gang busters here on day three, Had a glass of Merlot with dinner last night just to get in the Merlot frame of mind!
smiley36.gif
Again, the smells are incredible, get to sample a little flavor with each days stirring, kinda like cake batter I lick the spoon, itsreally good!
smiley2.gif

20080226_040155_000_0067_Small.jpg

I don't have a good way to test SO2. For bulk aging I normally would add 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulfite . I think most add another 1/4 tsp before filtering but I don't always do that. What are most people planning to do with these? I don't want to mess this kit up. I've thought about buying the titrets but I've read they're not very accurate on red wines.

I always add the extra K-meta either right before bulk aging or at bottling.

I believe you are going to have you a winner there JW..looks awesome buddy

I may just call it Jw's Jummy Merlot! So far these Meglioli's do indicate they are going to be very good, fun to give them a try anyways.

Racked the Merlot last Thursday, Really looking good!
20080301_053655_000_0087_Small.jpg

Seems to be really happy next to the Amarone...Speaking of happy, I recieved a wonderful package from Laneygirl..
20080301_054038_000_0089_Small.jpg

Lodi Old Vine Zin and 2Latitudes Merlot! WOW, on top of that a mystery beer bottle that says "ch" and a jar of salsa im thinkin...the "ch" is in the fridge to be "gulped" later, ive been tasting different Merlot's to compare to the Meglioli, think I will set this one aside to drink side by side maybe this fall, and the Zin, well, looks like a good weekend for Zin! Thanks Laneygirl, very kind of you!

20080305_074333_000_0101_Small.jpg

The Jummy Merlot has been .996 last two days readings, racked this A.M. and added potassium metabisulfite,siligel and liquigel. 8 - 10 days should be good and clear, ready for sorbate and done. Did notice a little more gas in this one compared to the Amarone. I believe it is going to make a very good wine.

Looks good JW but you should have that racking hose way in there to so as to reduce the infiltration of air.

Actually Wade, this is the way the directions tell you to do it, to aid in degassing.

Hi All,

I was actually going to say the same thing but forgot my password and by the time I figured it out wholla JW Minnesota replied with exactly my thought.

So wade, I was reluctant to introduce so much co2 while racking this kit however I did just as JW because the instructions said so. All the kits I have done prior explained to try to minimize splashing during transfer. Why is this different with this kit? The instructions say it will help during clarification and will not be harmful but beneficial at this point along the way.

I thought about it awhile myself In2Wine, and after reading how George degases, and further thought , I realize Mosti is probably right on here. There is enough gas in these wines that have just completed fermentation that its highly unlikely you are going to introduce too much oxygen, to the contrary, I see how it will help to degas. Even after racking, when stirring it to degas more comes out, so the head formed will still protect it from oxygen. Perhaps that was an old standard that no one ever questioned or reasoned better.

Well there you go guys, following directions.
smiley5.gif
I bought a rice cooker yesterday and explained the instruction book to Poor Bert. He wanted to know if that was a new thing, putting those instructions with appliances.
smiley36.gif
You wine looks great JW! If you need any volunteers to take a bottle...

Latest posts

Back