Meet my new twins!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could just put a red hat on Mario and a green one on Luigi! Great looking barrels!

-Marc

It has been 16 weeks since i put the Petite Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blend in the barrels. I emptied the barrels this past weekend and refilled them with a California Shiraz and Zinfandel blend. At 16 weeks the Petite Syrah, Cab, Merlot blend went from a decent blend to the best wine I've ever made! The barrels were definitely the missing ingredient in my wine making. This wine is as good as any $30 bottle I've ever bought.

That is all that micro oxidation and concentration through evaporation coming through! Keep em full, keep em clean, keep em sanitized and they will last you a long time! All four of my Vadia's are neutral now but I toss in a couple spirals or Winestix and let em go 4-6 months. Rinse, repeat…..

How many times can you use the barrels before they lose their effectiveness in adding flavor?

How many times can you use the barrels before they lose their effectiveness in adding flavor?

I'm mot sure because this is the first barrels I've used but I am guessing I can effectively use them six times before they no longer impart oak flavors to the wine. That is about 2 years.

You don't buy a barrel to impart oak flavor......

You can do that with cubes, spirals etc.

You buy a barrel to add Micro Oxidation and Concentration through Evaporation which NEVER fades out or goes away....

Any questions?

You don't buy a barrel to impart oak flavor......

You can do that with cubes, spirals etc.

You buy a barrel to add Micro Oxidation and Concentration through Evaporation which NEVER fades out or goes away....

Any questions?

No questions sir

I added to the barrel family today. Lucia is the 15 gallon and Vito is her baby brother at 10 gallons. I have a nice port style wine to go into the 10 gallon barrel and some nice Italian Chianti to go into the 15.

0903151601_tonemapped.jpg

Just wondering if you would mind sharing what you paid for the 2 new barrels????

I have a chance of getting a 225 liter barrel (new, American oak) for $400. I think that this is a good deal, but I am not sure since the price of barrels seems to change like the stock market.

Just wondering if you would mind sharing what you paid for the 2 new barrels????

I have a chance of getting a 225 liter barrel (new, American oak) for $400. I think that this is a good deal, but I am not sure since the price of barrels seems to change like the stock market.

John, I paid $350 for the 15 gallon and $280 for the 10. I would love to use a 225 liter barrel but really do not have the room. The 15 gallon seems to fit my schedule the best. These are my third and fourth barrel. I really wanted to buy two 15 gallon barrels but one was sold before I got to it.

Back