Other Measuring SG in Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDWines

Junior
Reaction score
Rooky question here, if I have racked my wine to the carboy and need to measure SG how do I get the hydrometer out of the carboy? My level is below the neck of the carboy so once I drop it in how do I fish it out? Or do you just leave it in?

Use a "Wine Thief" to transfer wine from the carboy to the test jar. Most hydrometers come in a plastic tube that doubles as the test jar. Some of us use turkey basters for wine thiefs. Clean and sanitize is important before sampling wine in carboy.

I use this - please do not drop your hydrometer into the carboy it could break!
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5432 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cthief_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Wine Thief/Test Jar Combo Fermtech

Releases wine back into the carboy</td></tr></t></table>

a secondary thing you *could* do is use tape to tape a string to the top of the hydrometer....scotch tape is fine albeit trick to remove.....lower the hydrometer in...the string should not truly affect what you are doing

The wine thief seems to do the trick. I tasted the wine and it tasted pretty weak. Is this typical after only the second day of the first racking?

What kind of wine is it? Whats the SG now and what was the be initial SG?

MDWines!

NO question is stupid. Questioning is a sign of intelligence.

I have tied non waxed dental floss to the hydrometer. Sanitized it with a good spray of k-meta and then gently lowered it into the carboy. Just make sure you trust your own knot tying skills. At the very least test to see if the floss stays put on the hydrometer.

Do they make hydrometers with a ring top like they do for animal thermometers? If they don't, they should.

Smurfe,

The wine is Vinefera Red Zin, SG started at 1.096. I did my first racking at 1.035 per instructions. Current SG is at 1.000. The temperature has been a little on the low side. It has been steady at around 66 deg. I'm now in day 3 of what is supposed to be a 6-7 day fermintation waiting period. After the wine reaches a .996 or less SG I'm suppose to do a second racking.

MDWines,

When you reach 1.000 you are pretty much done with the fermentation as there is relatively very little fermentables left. The sg of pure water is 1.000 at 60 degrees F. However, if you just let it sit for the last few days of your fermentation you will achieve that 0.996 or less SG. The hydrometer reads less than 1.000 because of the alcohol dilution in the wine. Sounds like you are right on course.

I hope you are relaxing, this is meant to be fun, not stressful..........

Thanks for the feedback. I might be micromanaging this process. It is my first batch and all. I'd like to be able to get into the higher end kits fairly soon since the wait time is so long.

By the way go Saints!

smiley20.gif
I agree! GO SAINTS!! By the way the dental floss works great if you don't have a wine thief.

If you can bring your wine temp. up some it will help the yeast finish their job....you don't want to stress the yeast anymore than necessary....this will help later when you have to degass also..

What is a good way to bring the temp up? Hot bath?
smiley1.gif
I can tell the fermentation process is starting to slow because when I stir the wine I don't get as much gas.

I made this wine last year. (It is tasting very good BTW.) Don't forget to stir daily. I looked at my notes and the finished SG for mine was .996. I agree with Bert that the temp should be higher. A brew belt is the answer. I run a small space heater in my fermentation room to keep the temp around 74 degrees.

Are you having fun yet?
smiley1.gif

I like and use a brew belt...works very good...If your carboy is in a small space , a space heater will work....others have used heating pads, but check as the new ones have an auto shut-off built in....As the wine is finishing fermenting, I don't stir it [untill degassing], so as not to induce O2 into it....hope this helps

Latest posts

Back