Measuring Alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehlenrg

Junior
Reaction score
How well does the Vinometer work in determing the alcohol % in finished wine? Or is it just as accurate to use starting and ending SG?

You should always use you SG and FG numbers.

You will get mixed reviews on the vinometer. I have one and love it but I only use it on white wines. If the wine is sweet, I cut with water 50/50 and double my reading. I also except that the reading I get is "close" to what the actual ABV might be........... then again it could be 100%........ Don't know, as you'll never see 11."67" % on my labels...........
smiley36.gif

Edited by: jobe05

I have the equipment to measure the ABV accurately (distilling setup, volumetric flasks, and proof hydrometer)

Send me a sample and I'll run it for you!
[email protected]

Can you explain that process to us?

I've always wondered what equipment is needed to do that...
THanks

snick, sounds like you've got it down! i hear you can get a distillation apparatus pretty cheap if you look for high school science lab suppliers--how did you come by yours?

Sure . . . the reason that you need to "process" the wine is that there are dissolved solids and stuff that throws off the reading. So, what you do is take a measured volume of wine, say 500ml. You boil it (gently) while watching the vapor temperature. Alcohol boils at a lower temperature than the water plus solids. The vapor is sent through a condenser, where it, well, condenses back into alcohol. You collect the alcohol. When the vapor temperature starts to rise, you have collected all the alcohol in the sample, plus a bit of water.

A rough ABV is the amount collected divided by 500ml times 100%.

To get an accurate reading, add distilled water to the collection to bring it back to the original volume of 500ml. Use the proof hydrometer to get a reading of the % Alcohol By Volume. If it's out of range, you can dilute the product and multiply the reading accordingly.

Simple, eh?

I bought the rig from Mountain Home Biologicals. It consists of a boiling flask and ring, stand, condenser, and two clamps. The fire is extra, as is the thermometer and drilled stopper, and of course the volumetric flask(s) and/or graduated cylinder. And fire insurance. And a bribe to keep the BATF out of your garage!

Latest posts

Back