Mead.. First Step

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
Well, here goes.. 6# of honey for $22.00, I better not screw up. The church ladies want in on this from beginning to end... they are just facinated at the wine making process... They think I should supply the church wine for communion.... Well.... with my expertise I would be quite nervous about that... would probably be watching for the parishiners to start dropping after service....
20081115_104700_100_2787_Small.jpg

getting ahead of myself here.... Have to settle on a recipe... one from finevinewines looks good to me... basic recipe.. question on that though.. I have acid blend... in the recipe they are two different ingredients (3 tsp malic and 1 1/2 tsp tataric) ... Hmmm and the yeast... sauternes or D-47? Also, doubling the recipe... I only have 6# honey... recipe would require 6 1/2 #. And when doubling a one gallon recipe... everything but the yeast.. right?

You can use acid blend in place of the others. I don't add any to mine until later if at all so you may want to hold off and the same with the tannin. D-47 is a very popular yeast for meads. Also if you are making a traditional mead (with no fruit additions) you can skip the campden tablets and add the yeast after everything is mixed. Until you dilute honey its rather hard for anything to grow. But if you choose to add the tablets it will not hurt anything and if it makes you feel more comfortable add them just remember to wait a day to add the yeast. Yeast nutrients are a must for this type of mead because the yeast will not get much in the honey. Also when you add the honey, add it slowly, mix well and take the SG to keep the alcohol level at what ever you choose. I would add 4 lbs. and then take the SG and go from there. And last if you run out of that honey you can always add more of another kind to finish it off.
Have fun I'm trying to kick everyone out of the kitchen to start my blueberry and blackberry meads.
VPC

At least I am not the only one that has to battle a little for kitchen time. Thanks for the info.... certainly helps. Would you double everything from the 1 gallon recipe... except the yeast? To start with I will be diluting it a little to heat it up to get the nasties out of it. think i will use the campden tabs. and wait 24 hours for the yeast. Good luck on your blue and black meads..

1 pack of yeast should do the trick. Its good for up to 6 gallons. And your logic is correct, double the recipe. A lot of recipes I have read call for no acid blend whatsoever. I have seen a few that call for it. I am in the process of my 3rd batch of mead (1 gallon) and have not added any acid blend as of yet. You can probably add a little acid blend to taste after fermentation is done right before bottling and be alright.

OK... thanks much...will hold off on the acid blend for now.This will be interesting. Wife asked what the honey was for... next question "well, how much did you spend on that"? Hmmm.. I sidestepped that question.

RkyMtnWine said:
OK... thanks much...will hold off on the acid blend for now.This will be interesting. Wife asked what the honey was for... next question "well, how much did you spend on that"? Hmmm.. I sidestepped that question.

Good move on the sidestep. I am also doing a 6 gallon batch of Orange blossom mead. It took 15 pounds of honey so far. I probably need another 3-4 pounds for the back sweetening. I pay about $7.50 for 3 pounds.

I am sure if I did more shopping around I could have gotten a better price on the honey... Not in this town though... so, I guess I am helping the local economy during these hard times.

Yes doubling everything is correct. When making larger batches (3 + gallons) a lot of mead makers will also double the yeast because mead can be hard to start. I figure an extra $1 or so for the extra yeast is minor and I don't make larger batches often. Finally got the blackberries steam juicing, then the blueberries are next. By the way I usually make 1 1/2 gallon batches. I use the extra 1/2 gal. to top off and add 50/50 honey and water to top off the half gallon jugs. Once the gallon jugs are finished I'll combine the two 1/2 gal. ones together for a blend. I'm making 2 wines today also (had to clean out the freezer to make room for some $.78 a pound turkey).
And yes sidestepping the cost of honey is a good move!

thanks V. Had to order yeast from george today along with some other goodies so my mead making is on hold until my order arrives.. Thats OK, think I will rack some of the other wines even if they dont need it, something to do.

Do you have both nutrient and energizer? I would do the dble yeast on this and use both nutrient and energizer. Put all the energizer in and 1/3 the nutrient now, another 1/3 at about an sg of 1.055 and then the last bit at a sg of about 1.030 and that will help it not get stuck along with a good stirring to get 02 in the mix.

have both the nutrient and energizer. You think I should add two packets of yeast on my twogallon batchafter it sits for 24 hours? Will do on the nutrient. Thinking I am going to make up a yeast starter before putting it in... been having lots of problems with my yeast not kicking off. Remember Waldo had same problem with one of his wines. My biggest problem was my 3 gallon peach.. was ready to toss it out after 3 tries but decided to give it one more bump of yeast and it finally kicked. Thats looking good in the secondary now.

Forgot this is a 2 gallon batch so 1 packet will be fine. Doing a yeast starter is always a better idea or at least re hydrating it in hot water as per the instructions.

You could make a starter and that will get it off to a running ferment. I haven't tried the nutrient in stages yet, but the next batch of mead I will do it. It makes sense that it will work better that way as you are feeding the newer yeast cells and making them stronger. Whereas if you do it all in one step then your first few (hundred) generation of yeast will be the strongest.

I followed the directions exactly on rehydrating it, everything was set up by the book... called yeast company and he concluded that the yeast I had was probably bad.... I purchased them from a beer/wine store that is not to interested in the wine side of the business so thinking the yeast was sitting on the shelf for quite a while. Had this experience prior to finding this forum.. you guys are lifesavers... well, at least wine savers.

Doing the starter will tell you if the yeast is viable and thats a good reason to do it and start the starter before even starting the batch of wine(mead) and then panicking after 2-3 days.

Hey George... bring that yeast up here this weekend so I can get started.. you can taste test all my wines.. Thanks for the info wade.. getting antsy though.. nothin to do with the wine right now.. Although I am working on the wine rack. Strawberry will be ready to lay down to sleep soon.

LMAO hey I learned that means "laughingmy _ _ _ off" Here is the beginning of my wine rack.. I am sure you will be impressed.

10' x 4" pvc/insulated.. makes 15 8" long cubby holes

20081115_171526_winerack_WinCE.JPG

and this is where it will be going. Veggies will be going in the linen closet. Do ya think I need permission for that move? May be able to get three rows on each shelf. width is 34". I need a new house.
20081115_171947_100_2681_Small.jpg

should be able to get 45 bottles in that cabinet.. Isnt it ironic how I started a mead thread and now I should be in the wine rack area. funny how that happens

Latest posts

Back