Mosti Mondiale Masters Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salmo1

Reaction score
Just sent my first batch of MM alljuice viognier the caroby for fining. Added about 30 med toast oak cubes to give it a little more oak. I was a little dissapointed in the flavor. I have had many commercial viogniers and this one really did not have much body. Does anyone have experience with this kit?

Not with this particular AJ kit but quite a few other AJ kits. Not quite sure what you were expecting from a BIG kit that is what 30 days old?

Viognier is not normally oaked much and you have just added enough oak to make a Cabernet Sauvignon blush big time.

AJ kits take a long time to develop. They are not quick drinkers for sure. This kit will take a full 12 months to develop and get really good.

I would pull the oak out immediately and let it bulk age for a minimum of 6 months. Then do another taste test so see where its at.

Not sure how many kits you have under your belt but one things for sure is you can always add a touch more oak, but you can't take it out once its in.

I have had some great viogniers with quite a bit of oak on them. I was hoping to duplicate the flavor. Good advice to wait and seehow it develops. I can always add more oak later. Racked the viognier off the oak and put the carboy away to sit for a while.

I made the Cellar Craft Showcase Viognier at the start of this year so its right at 11 months old. I opened a bottle last week and while it was pretty good, it still was not quite ready to go IMHO. This kit came with 1 ounce of oak chips IIRC.

Cubes take longer to extract than chips but I would think once you give this guy a chance to develop a bit and do another taste test you will be quite surprised in the transformation. If you decide to add more Oak you should be able to bump it up in about 4 weeks extraction time.

I think thats the first time I have heard someone not impressed with a Masters Kit so I am hoping it is just due to the very short time frame in which you have tasted it in.

ibglowin said:
Viognier is not normally oaked much and you have just added enough oak to make a Cabernet Sauvignon blush big time.
It's been awhile since I read it, but I think 30 beans is about an ounce, isn't it, Mike? If so, that isn't very much oak in general. I add twice as much as that to most of my reds that aren't going through the barrel.

Wade said:
I think thats the first time I have heard someone not impressed with a Masters Kit so I am hoping it is just due to the very short time frame in which you have tasted it in.
The thread title is "Masters Viognier" but I think the OP is referring to an AJ kit. It's good to hear that the Masters kits are well liked, though. I have a Valle de Sol batch nearing the 1 year point which is the only Masters kit I have done.

I have 3 pairs of AJ reds coming, Barolo, Petit Sirah and Pinot Noir and I am hoping they turn out decent with a little barrel time and 2 years of aging.

Yes, the kit I originated the thread on is an All JuiceMaster's Viognier kit. I also have an All Juice Gewurztraminer in the secondary. My wife loves the lighter Pinot Grigio kits, but I'm lookingfor something a little fuller and hope these hit the mark.

I would say yes. I use the acronym MM AJ all the time in postings to mean Mosti Mondiale All Juice.

It should be noted that the Meglioli as well as the Master's are both All Juice as well. An All Juice kit is simply one that you don't have to add any water to.

ibglowin said:
I would say yes. I use the acronym MM AJ all the time in postings to mean Mosti Mondiale All Juice.

It should be noted that the Meglioli as well as the Master's are both All Juice as well. An All Juice kit is simply one that you don't have to add any water to.
I'm confused, Mike. Are you using the term "MM AJ" to refer to Original All Juice, Masters Edition All Juice and Meglioli all at the same time? I understand the concept of not having to rehydrate a 23L kit. Sorry to belabor the point, but I do have one Meglioli and 6 Original All Juice kits on the way and I'll want to refer to them correctly.

MM AJ is the Original All Juice in the white bucket.

Meglioli is usually just referred to as just that.

Master's is usually referred to as just that.

Most people around here on a routine basis will know exactly what your talking about by just using those terms.

Nothing wrong if you want to add more verbage!

A little verbage always helps and thats why he did state "Masters" There are other full 23 liter kits that look similar to the buckets of "All Juice" on the market but they are not "All Juice" and instead just like a kit where there is about 15-18 liters of concentrate and then they have added the water to it for you which really blows in my opinion as now you have to pay for shipping on water and the other reason is they just arent that good.

ibglowin said:
MM AJ is the Original All Juice in the white bucket.

Meglioli is usually just referred to as just that.

Master's is usually referred to as just that.

Most people around here on a routine basis will know exactly what your talking about by just using those terms.

Nothing wrong if you want to add more verbage!

That's perfect, Mike. Thanks for clearing that up.

Latest posts

Back