Mastas Mojjo Spice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Waldo.... You got that right! I love the sice and suace that masta makes, 1/2 pound of spice, gallon jug of Dragon sauce, some red oak and I'll be smoken every darn peice of meat I could find!

I dare my wife to bet me in a rib cook off again! She actually thinks she can make better ribs in the oven than I can on the smoker
smiley36.gif

AINT NO WAY!!!!!

Masta's got to charge more though...... thats a lot of work, and we all appreciate his generosity in sharing with us
smiley32.gif

Masta,

I missed out on the taster packets of your mojjo spice,
smiley19.gif
but from the reviews you have received I want to try some when you haveit for sale. I love to cook and with a lot of spice. Keep me posted on when I can order some.

Pricing for the Mojjo is set at $1.25 per oz net weight plus actual shipping cost via USPS.

4oz net weight is a heathly 3/4 cup of volume.

Please contact me at [email protected]for more info!

Thanks

Ordering a fresh supply came just in time.......

We had company come over last night and we served pan fried shrimp with the mojjo spice, Tbone steaks and king crab legs. I put A-1 sauce, Heinze 57 sauce and other sauces out for the steak, and not but one was opened..... Thats right, the dragon sauce! What a hit! No one could beleive that it was homemade, so I took them to my computer and showed them Masta's post when he was making it. Everyone found the spice and the sauce to be "just right" when it came to balance and hotness.

Thanks again Masta for helping us have a wonderful evening
smiley32.gif
Edited by: jobe05

Glad you and your company enjoy the spice and sauce. The wife and I re bottled 4 dozen 5oz bottles today from sauce we had in large glass jars from the original bottling day (we ran out of bottles so I had to use empty honey jars).

Soon as the weather gets warm again we need to make another batch of sauce so it can age a while as it gets much better with time like a good wine!
smiley4.gif

Masta, I had a little but left so combined it with some Cookshack spices!!
2006-02-26_134434_100_1405.JPG

Curtis is firing up the grill!! Ramona

2006-02-26_151650_100_1414.JPG
Edited by: rgecaprock

Masta, How long will the dragon sauce keep? Were did you buy the small bottles, and would it keep longer if I got a couple smaller bottles to store them in. I guess Im asking out of couriosity..... I know it won't be around that long..........

rgecaprock: That looks really good! I miss the old fashoned way of BBQing over brickets versus the gas grills of today. The flavor is so much beter with charcoal.

Dang! Between Waldo and Ramona - I'm getting hungry! And those kebabs look mighty tasty!
smiley32.gif

The Hot Sauce is hot packed in the bottles so it will keep up to a year if not opened...why are you not opening it!!!!
smiley36.gif

Once opened it will last at least 6 months in the fridge since the environment of the sauce is not very hospitable for bacteria with the acidity and heat from the peppers.

jobe05...transferring your sauce to some smaller bottles to limit the amount of air space might also help maintain the freshness and flavor.

I buy the small bottles on line from CA which has the best pricing I have found so far but need to find a local supplier since the shipping costs are quite high.

Had BLT's for dinner tonight and had to spice up the mayo with some Hot mojjo and it did the trick....a slow warming sensation in the back of the throat.

Washed it down with some Baron's Mexican Cerveza with lime this time!
smiley20.gif

Yum!! I too loved masta's smokin' Mojjo spice. Very smoky and excellent over steak's, grilled new potatoes, drizzled w/ olive oil. Oh, and a big glass of vino!!

Masta, don't tell me that is a real picture of you pounding on the computer?? If so, you're making me dizzy
smiley36.gif

Hey Masta I recieved my sample last friday dang it smells good. My wife is going to fix Beef Tips and Noodles tomorrow and i an gonna sprinkle some of your spices in the meat before she cooks it. Will let you know how itt turns out

Thanks, Harry

Masta,

I received you spice and I can't wait to try some. My brother will be here tonight and he wants to have moose steak, I bet it will be good on them. I will let you know what we think. Thank you for the sample.

I personally think the mojjo is the best on fish and seafood as is but needs some more tweaking for the stronger meats like beef and game and some of the feedback I have received supports this.

I am certainly open to suggestions on ingredients to add to improve it.

BTW...The hot version is in development now and a few samples have been sent out.

Masta, I wouldn't (couldn't) make a recommendation for I wouldn't change a thing! What I find odd about the spice is that if I sprinkle a little on a steak and grill it, the flavor comes right out, if I grill the steak without it, then pour it on, I can't taste it at all........... Just one of those things that make ya go HMmmm.........,

It's awesome some on everything I have tried thow, but absolutely love it on shrimp! Can't have shrimp anymore without it. Really need to fire up the smoker and do what waldo did with those ribs.......

Hey waldo..... Did you rub the spice on and let it sit for any duration before smoking? I want to try it on chicken too..... and pork....... and fish...... and..........

Good news jobe05...I will not make any adjustments on the original mojjo for now and still waiting to get some feedback on the hot version. We adjusted the hot mojjo a bit after a few samples were sent out since I thought it was just too hot and it covered up all the other flavors....and when we cooked some chicken breast on the stove and the vapors from the spicewiped out the whole house and sent all of us into a coughing fit!
smiley18.gif

I have found the same thing with adding mojjo before cooking and adding to foods after cooking and the difference is quite noticeable.

I performed this experiment tonight on beef steak. I like shoulder blade cuts. They are "marinating" steaks because this is a tougher fattier cut of beef. This is also a cut of beef that has LOADS of flavour. This also means that is is strong tasting, which is what I like. I grew up on a farm, so I tend to like the tougher cuts of beef thinking that the tender cuts do not have the flavour for me. Of course, porterhouse is the exception!

So I did this:

I took one steak and flavoured the beef before grilling on the gas grill, and the other, I just seasoned with Salt and pepper. The one with the mojjo on it before grilling was good, but the one that was sprinkled with mojjo after grilling was awesome! The mojjo seemed to be much more prominent and added much more flavour. Subtleness aside, it seems the mojjo on stronger flavours benefits from a late sprinkling instead of a "cook it in" type. I also add butter to my steaks on late cooking to add both flavour and basting. The way I see it, you are eating a hunk of beef that will cause arteries to harden anyways...enjoy it! I have also taken some mojjo and made a mojjo butter. Soften some butter (1 stick or 1/2 cup) and add 3 tablespoons of mojjo. Roll this up and freeze it! Add this to steaks as a flavouring, or use this mojjo butter along with good olive oil when sauteing shrimp, mushrooms, etc.

I have not tried the hot mojjo yet, but this weekend it is going to get a workout on Halibut, shrimp, scallops, and lamb!

Did not rub the spice on at all jobe. Just sprinkled it on right before cooking. I did a pork butt last weekend and it was awesome. I am going to try the hot version this weekend and will let you know how it turned out. Going to use it on someTilapia and shrimp.

Masta I dont think i would change a thing on the original recipeEdited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back