Mastas Mojjo Spice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Tried the sample this weekend on some Baby back ribs and it was really , really good masta. For my personal preference it could have been a tad hotter but great like it was. Oh yes, the rack of ribson the left are the ones with your spice. I added nothing else to them as I wanted nothing to interfere with how they were going to taste with your spice.

mojoribs.jpg

Had to grill me a few taters to go with the ribs too
smiley36.gif

grillingpotatoes.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Masta,

Done two things with it.

1. Mojodillas. In a skillet, dump a little bit of olive oil (and a mean a
little). Throw in a flour tortilla a mix of monterrey jack and medium
cheddar, shredded, and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of mojo spice. Add a little
shaved beef on top and another flour tortilla. heat until the bottom tortilla
is brown, flip and do the same the other side. Quarter and eat while the
cheese is still runny. Turned out good. no Picture but next time I will.

2. Vegetable Stew.brown an onion in olive oil with a teaspoon of minced
garlic. Add three cans chicken broth, two cans V8, two zucchini, chopped,
two yellow squash chopped, three leeks sliced, 1/2 eggplant chopped,
couple of dozen baby carrots, 1 tsp dried crushed chili pepers, two tsp
mojo spice. options, two potatoes peeled and diced, or 1/2 cup lentils.
Makes enough for a week of lunches.

I sprinkled mine on a T Bone steak last nigh after it was coked and it was wonderful! Honestly, the best spice I have ever tried. It has a very unique flavor that seems like it would go well with almost anything. I'm trying to go sparingly with it so I can try it on many things..... Tonight is Pasta so I may forgo any testing tonight....... or maybe I will try it! I think it would go good with sea food, like fried shrimp that my vegitarian son likes all the time. Although I love the flavor just the way it is, Perhaps for my taste, I would have to agree with Waldo that it could be a little hotter. Perhaps have to kinds, a mild and a hot?..... Truthfully though, great job on a great spice!
smiley32.gif

When it hits the shelves on a store somewhere, I will be buying! What about your other hot sauce you made a couple months back Masta, is that for sale yet? Still drueling over that as well. You have some real talents. Thanks for the opportunity to sample this wonderful spice.

P.S. - Waldo..... Just thinking....... but can we all expect samples of those ribs in our mailboxes someday.... Man they look good! Don't forget the tatters!
smiley36.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Thanks jobe,

We tried to make the spicemiddle of the road onthe heat level so it would work well for most people. The heat certainly will be different depending on what you put it on. I was really impressed with it on shrimp sinceit is so mild....a lite coating and a quick grill or sautéon the stove and you are livin!

I can seedifferent levels of heat and that is easy to do with the right ingredients. Mojjo is made with nothing but quality uncut spices and like most things in lifeyou get what you pay for.

We used some mojjo over the weekend sprinkled on veggie pizza!

I love the taste and did get a bit of hot taste, what I didn't think about however was the way I used it. I didn't cook the spice with the food, I just sprinkled it on the cooked food, so there would be a difference. I think shrimp will be on the menue tomorrow night, but it would go well with many things.

Hey Waldo, did you put it on your grilled tatters? I love grilling vegies, Zucchini, summer squash, peppers, onions with a little tomatoes. I'd bet the spice would taste good on that!

Did not try it on the taters jobe but it was sure great on those ribs.

Just tried the Mojjo on shrimp........ Words could not describe this taste
smiley32.gif
My hats off to you Masta! This is incredible stuff. And as for the heat...... Perfect! Just right when used while cooking the food..... You need to patent that recipe and get it to market! You'd make a fortune!

Fortune = more wine kits
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Good job Masta!
smiley32.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Thanks....I will be working on the details of being able to sell it. I already have ideas how to change the recipe for beef and chicken!

With about a half inch of sleet on the ground I decided about 9:30 this morning it was time to fire up the ole grill and try the remainder of Masia's Mojo spice. I used it on a pork tenderloin and ohhhh meeeeee was it ever good

2006-02-18_125747_tenderloin.jpg

I also baked some taters today instead of grilling and with a bottle of my Muscadine wine, a feresh tossed salad with blue cheese dressing I am now not worth shooting
smiley36.gif

2006-02-18_125831_plate_o_food.jpg

Masta.......I want more of that seasoning.........NOW !!!

Well my taster packet finally made it's way up to Canada, and I just had to check this stuff out! Masta, you have created a killer blend here! The first thing my girlfriend asked was "can we get 1/2 a pound"? I concur.

Last night I used it on a whole chicken prepared this way:

Beer Can Chicken

Take a can of good beer and drink 1/2 of it! While doing that take some salt (Kosher is best) and liberally salt the chicken inside and out. Take some Mojjo Spice and sprinkle some inside the chicken and liberally rub some on the outside of the chicken. Place the beer can, with 1/2 a beer in it,in the center of a roasting pan, then place the chicken ON the beer can. The chicken should now be "sitting" in the pan. Take a little extra virgin olive oil and very lightly drizzle the chicken. This will help to make the skin crispy.

Next chop up some celery, carrots, onions and 2 large russet potatoes. Place these all around the chicken in the roasting pan. The juices from the chicken will help to flavor the veggies. I sprinkled a little more salt and Mojjo Spice on the veggies too!

Roast this whole thing in the oven at 400F until the chicken reaches 180F internal temperature taken in the thigh (thickest part of the chicken). CAREFULLY, remove the beer can which is now extremely hot from the chickens butt, and throw it away. The beer can has continually steamed its malty, hoppy goodness into the chicken and kept the whole think incredibly moist! Carve it up and serve after you let it rest for 5-10 minutes.

We served this with a nice bitter, hoppy, India Pale Ale and the combo of spices and little heat was outta this world!

Here is my girlfriends tasting notes:

"Perfect blend for chicken, spice is prominent but not overpowering the natural flavour of the chicken - quite complimentary. Heat stays with you for next bite of food, tying together the whole meal. Delicious!"

Masta, thank you very much for the opportunity to try this, and we are serious about buying 1/2 a pound! One note though. It is very finely ground and has a tendancy to make me cough when applying it.Edited by: Dean

Thanks for the great feedback and I will placing an order this week for some more ingredients and I will let you know when it is available for purchase.

I agree the fine grind of the spice is a bit dusty but if used out of a shaker jar it is not bad.

I've been trying to find some time to give Masta's spice the respect it deserves. Too bad there is so much snow, but I'm waiting for them now:
2006-02-19_151831_021806_Smoking_in_the_snow.jpg

I would keep as is masta......You have got a winner here my friend

Shoot........... First of all, Waldo, when can I come over for supper??

Second, Masta what is this magic potion of mojjo love? My hubby is a huge fan of grilling an creating spice blends. When you start selling, just let me know. Anything called mojjo has got to be good............

~D

Masta,

Tried your Mojo, also on beer can chicken this weekend!!! Very nice!! I barely got a taste though, it was gone before I had a chance!! Will try it in a shaker next time...I'm fighting back a sneeze thinking about it.

You have a winner there!!!.................Ramona

It's a great spice and so versital. Goes with almost everything (not spegetti, tryed it.....
smiley11.gif
) (or it could have been my sauce..... dunno). If you ever get the chance to try the Dragon sauce DO IT!!!!! My wife grilled some tenderloins this weekend, normally I don't even use steak sauce on a good cut of meat but I had to try the dragon sauce.......... Again, words could not explain.... it was awesome! I covered the steak in it! Better than any steak sauce I have ever tryed. Also, another great suace that would be very versitile.

Although the Mojjo goes with everything, I like it best on shrimp and fish. I went to culinary school years ago and they could never teach us to cook something so good, as the food taste with Masta's spice and sauce.

I would do the 1/2 pound size.................... that should be enough for 30 days.................. if I go easy on it.....
smiley36.gif

Now dammit jobe you know you and I are not "taking it easy" on nuttin podner
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back