Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are very calming meadmaker, thank you.

Sure am glad you told us about the bigger bucket. The stuff is BUSY in there. Looks like it's having a great time and the pink is coming back. Just a slight hue but it's pink! I don't know why that makes me happy but it does.

So at 4:00 this evening I will take the pulp bag out and squeeze the juice out. Then let it sit for 3 or 4 days. I wonder what would determine the 3 or the 4.

My new 3 way reading "wine" hydrometer is here, safe and sound. And yes, next trip to town for me, I will pick up a backup as well and hide it safely away so something like this doesn't happen again.

Love the action going on it there. I enjoy sitting in there and watching it. The house smells yeasty, a really good, fresh baked bread smell, like a bakery.

And not sure if you folks are into gardening but here's a few pictures that I promised. Took a bunch of small pictures, let's hope they fit this time. Darn, nope, there are 3 from the other side of garden that it's saying are too big. Oh well. Will try and get some different ones. Here's a few anyway.

20180523_064630.jpg 20180523_064740.jpg 20180523_064810.jpg

It looks like it's going to be a bumper crop strawberry year. We'll see how many I can get in the freezer (with pectin) for a strawberry wine. Strawberry and plum, hmmm that sounds interesting.

20180523_064706.jpg

I keep the more delicate lettuces, herbs and hot peppers on the deck. Last year we had some strangely spicy spaghetti squash. It was interesting; those bees were doing some crazy cross pollinating.

20180523_073436.jpg20180523_073642.jpg20180523_073623.jpg

And here's the rhubarb plant today, in all it's glory, just producing away. I always remove the seed flowers, god forbid It makes another plant.

Going to get a bunch in the freezer today for the next batch of wine.

20180523_065308.jpg 20180523_065329.jpg

Here's what the bubbling bucket looks like this morning, and I just stirred about 1/2 hour ago.

20180523_083351.jpg 20180523_083444.jpg 20180523_083522.jpg

Don't know what the alcohol is but got a bit on my hand and tasted it, its pretty yummy. :)

Looks like it's all bubbling away like it's supposed to. Seems you did just fine without me.

Very nice garden. Here's a couple shots of PART of the vegie garden. Apple, cherry, black raspberries, passion fruit, etc - not included. I also keep a lot of my herbs in pots - many survive the WI winter inside and I've had some plants for over 5 years.

Attachments

• P1070369 Stitch.jpg
    P1070369 Stitch.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
  • P1080491.JPG
    P1080491.JPG
    850 KB · Views: 14
Wow Wildhair, your garden is amazing! Holy cow.

Maybe next year, we are looking at a more sectional type as well. A lot of work for hubby but he has an few ideas. Gonna show him yours. That looks totally accessible and very well spaced out. Nice.

Yes, totally hear you on the sensitive plants. I have a pomegranate tree that goes downstairs in the winter as well. The other fruit trees are pretty established and then there's an ancient plum that is a mass producer too.

In the wine department, are you able to see where I'm at. Took these pics this morning.

20180525_042731.jpg20180525_042714.jpg20180525_042651.jpg

PS... you were missed.

Last edited:
The yeast was put in on Monday evening around 5:00 and I put in 12.5 lbs of sugar. Can you tell me what 1.092 and 1.093 means? Today is the 3rd day of the fruit bag being removed.

It's still a little fuzzy in the bucket, not the bubbling lava type thing it was doing a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
1.092 is your specific gravity. The gravity of water is 1.000. The sugar and fruit are heavier than water so they cause the hydrometer to float higher in the solution. As alcohols is formed it will sink.
Your starting gravity couldn't have been much higher, which means your ferment is going slow.
But no worries, there are reasons for going slow on purpose, other reasons for faster.
What temperature is your must at. I'm guessing cool 60-65 degrees.
I ran the numbers on your recipe, correct me if I'm wrong. But you added 5 gallons of water and 2 ish liters of rhubarb juice.

Sorry, not sure how much rhubarb (et al) juice there was to begin with as I didn't measure it this time. There was about half of a 30 liter bucket though. So complete ball park, maybe 10 - 15 liters of juice.

All the frozen fruit originally went in with 12.5 of sugar for 24 hours this time and it created a whole bunch of juice. Then I added the 5 gallons of water.

It feels hot in the big bucket when I take the lid off. This is what the temperature is saying. It's a wine thermometer. The red lines don't move but the blue one does.

20180526_092433.jpg

The s.g. of the juice must be higher than I expect.
Take the hydrometer reading again.
Try to read it before the little bubbles start forming on it.
But any way about it, it's working. Give it a good stir a couple times a day for the next few days and take a reading every day or to to track progress. Progress being , the hydrometer gradually sinking to just below the 1.000 mark.
I expect that by next week end it will be close.

Ok, I will go do another reading today and show it to you. The recipe says:

11. In 3 or 4 days (or when the hydrometer reading is 1.030 or lower), siphon into a five-gallon glass jug or carboy and attach a fermentation lock.

This evening will be day 3. I will go get that reading.

20180526_102213.jpg 20180526_101440.jpg

Still not sure which one to read but here are the numbers.

Ha ha, so protective of this hydrometer. Sanitized, back in it's case and in the soft towel drawer. No one touches my hydrometer.

You should have plenty of wine to fill your 6.5 gallon carboy with some extra.
Now is a good time to collect smaller jugs to put the extra in.
This extra is idea for topping up after future rackings.
Each time you rack you will leave some behind, you will need to make up the difference to keep head space to a minimum. Having an assortment of small containers now will provide quick mini carboys for left overs till they are needed.
You won't be to 1.030 for a few more days.

Ok, a few more days hey, I wonder why its so slow. But that's ok if you say its ok.

And yes, interesting enough, mentioned to hubby the other day that we need one of those little moonshine type bottles. We're going to have more than the one carboy. We have the two bigger ones that were given to us but that seems like overkill for what will be left over.

Good to know about the top up. We will be on the hunt for the smaller jug.

Ahhh, tap and read, ok will try that next time. I waited, and waited, and waited.... he said wait till the bubbles go. Next time.

Ahh, ok, thank you.

I will take "one" picture tomorrow to see where we're at.

You're awesome meadmaker, thank you. It really is comforting having your expertise to rely on.

You can also shake the " " out of the sample before you put the hydrometer into it.
Less bubbles less effect.

Back