Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course it's too late to put the bag in place first, but the extra bucket thing is spot on.
The gasket out of a lid for a 5 gallon bucket makes a good rubber band20180520_073133.jpg
I am fond of these 20180520_073133.jpg
I have a few of them for honey but really only use one that I refill with smaller more manageable buckets

Many folks will refer to their brute. This is a generic ,but a small food grade " trash can" for primary works well for ending up with a full 5 or 6 gallon secondary. 20180520_080043.jpg

Let's go last -> first, shall we?

Sending hubby to town for another bucket. This bucket is 1/2 full of juice and fruit, no way it's going to hold 5 gallons of water. Can it be halfed into 2 buckets or should he try and find a really big bucket.

I have an 8 gallon plastic primary fermenter - that would be just what hubby needs to get. Because you also need room for the foam, you'll discover. I have used 2 buckets to ferment, but I always mixed it up together, then separated into 2 6 gal. buckets and just used 2 packets of yeast. You have to be sure to do the same steps and add the same amount of additives for each. Just get the big, 8 gal fermenter - you'll need it again.

Also this sugary mass is pretty thick. Is there an easy way to get the fruit into the bag or is it just scoop and fill? I think I need another bucket for the bagging process.

I put my mesh bag in a tall, plastic container - then use a canning ladle to scoop the fruit and fill it. A wide mouth canning funnel would also be helpful. I've also use a 2 qt measuring cup and scooped it out. Have hubby hold the bag (inside the new fermenter) while you pour the fruit into it.

Hubby got the bag at the wine store but they were in bulk, open to the air, on a shelf. Should I wash this bag ahead of time or should it be good to go.

I'd rinse it hot water, but the "campden stuff" will kill any harmful bacteria at this stage. Make sure you spritz or soak all your utensils with a sterilizing solution. Spoons, buckets, scoops, ladles, hydrometer & the hydrometer tube, thermometer, your hands, etc., etc. - all should be rinsed with a sterilizing solution. Anything that touches the wine should be sterile from this point forward.

.......how dare he leave me!.:( A week, hmmm. Does that start from yesterday or today?)

It starts on Tues. very, very early. :D

When I started this - the folks on this site were extremely helpful clarifying the steps and fixing my "stuff- ups". Like Stressbaby said - the steps are all very similar for country wines so as you go along, the steps and the "why" of each step will become much clearer and more familiar. It's a long learning curve - I'm glad I can help and pass along some of what I've learned.

Good idea on the "trash" can for a primary. Wash it and sterilize it and use it only for wine - excellent!

Awesome visuals meadmaker. Had hubby take a look and he will see what he can find. I told him BIG. The 8 gallon sounds perfect wildhair.

And thank you for that tip. Have the meshy bag soaking in boiling water. Once it cools will toss it in the dryer. Then spread it over the (hopefully) 8 gallon bucket that he finds on this Sunday. We will sterilize our hands and transfer the fruit with a sterilized measuring cup.

PS... nice to see you still here wildhair. Was panicking just a little.

The supply store will have them. I got mine at a cash and carry, wholesale to the public food service store.

Ok, the juice, water, concentrate and potassium stuff is all resting in a big brute type garbage can, with the fruit in there as well, in a mesh bag. Boy that was messy job. Sticky, sticky.

Strange again, the minute I added the potassium stuff (just a 1/4 tsp, a little rounded) it went from the beautiful rich pink color to a browny yellow immediately. It didn't turn white this time though.

And guys, hubby wasn't able to find any yeast nutrient. He didn't get it last time so was going to pick it up today. No wine shops open and probably not tomorrow either being a holiday up here. I have the yeast (Lalvin EC 1118). Is the starter absolutely necessary or can I try with the yeast I have?

Called a neighbor, she used to make wine, and asked if she had any. She didn't, its been many years but she said, "Rhubarb… don't be surprised if it starts fermenting on its own." Of course I said, no, no, I put this potassium stuff in there to stop that". Then she said, just get your yeast working a few hours ahead of time, throw it in and don't worry about a thing.

Well I am worried but also caught between a bit of a rock and a hard place. So I guess a couple of things. This yellow color is so disappointing and if the hydrometer reads right in the morning, is it ok to put just the package of yeast in?

Loosing the pink is standard. Yeast neutreant can wait.
You can start a yeast starter or wait to hydrate and pitch tomorrow
1118 is pretty bullet proof yeast.
Get neutreant when you can.

Oh what a relief, almost cried when I saw that. Losing pink is standard and 1118 is bullet proof.

Thank you meadmaker. Will take the reading in the morning and see where we go from there.

This is almost as funny as the Super Spicy Ginger wine thread, but without the panache of the Aussie's writing style. LOL

I make Rhubarb wine every year. I'm drinking some now, actually. I need at LEAST 4# per gallon - 20# min. for a 5 gal batch. I chop it and freeze it first. Here's a couple of recipes to get you going.

I read most of that thread on the ginger wine. Lol. He’s quite a talented writer. Thanks for telling me about it!

You can add the pink back later, if you want. A few drops of red food coloring - POOF - it's pink again!

20180521_084418.jpg 20180521_084439.jpg

Ok this is what it's reading this morning. I don't know which one to read and it doesn't look anything like the 1.090 - 1.095 that I should be seeing, can someone please tell me what to do now.

Meadmaker, you said to add sugar, can you tell me how much?

OMG, just went to read the directions on the hydrometer (the second one that hubby bought) and it's called a Proof and Tralles Hydrometer. Very specifically says: This hydrometer is for distilled alcohol only. It cannot be used for beer, wine or any other fermented beverage.

OMG, OMG. Can I just punch him. Would that be considered domestic abuse. And if I'm thinking about it is that considered premeditated. OMG. What the heck do I do now?

Never mind, he corrected me, it's the second one I bought. Figures. OMG. Why would she sell me this? She knew I was making wine.

Last edited:
First - it should not be leaning against the side of the tube - it needs to be "free" floating - not hitting the bottom or the sides. You need to get the tube plumb to get an accurate reading. The hydrometer in your pic looks backwards to me - mine has the 1.000 at the TOP and the "90" near the bottom - similar to this -

iu

You end up here -

HodrometerReading-2.jpg
You said it was "sweet and sticky" - so something is not right here.
See if you can get the hydrometer to float free of the walls and post a pic.

I've made a few phone calls and a neighbor has posted it on our community website. We will find a proper hydrometer today. OMG.

Right tool for the right job - some times nothing else will work. And just and fyi - I'd get a plastic tube for the hydrometer. It doesn't take much to break them.

You might want to contact the friends that gave you the "big glass bottle like thingy" (a.k.a. - a carboy) ;-) He/she might have a wine hydrometer.

Yes, I've called them as well. They got rid of all their equipment, they don't have one.

I feel totally defeated. Hubby is trying to keep spirits high. How dare I even thought of abusing him. Such a wonderful man.

He says either this is going to be the best wine ever or we'll just have to try again.

I feel soooo blonde... it's going to take a community to get me thru this. OMG

Back