Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rothl
Merit badge earned for first broken hydrometer.
Your brew store should have juice concentrate too. May be pricey but check.
Brew store will have small measuring spoons.
Starting over May be best for first try.

Ha ha, glad you found that funny. My husbands all like... what are you doing. You have to be careful. Did that thing have mercury in it. Oh geez, I don't know. Check the garbage and take it out while you're at it.

Earning a merit badge makes all the devastation worth it. Thanks for that.

Just picked another 13 lbs of rhubarb. Will cut it up in the morning and get it into the freezer for the day. And good to know about the measuring spoons, who would have thunk a brew store would sell those.

Hello Arne! Perfect timing. My kitchen really looks like a brewing house. Sieves, funnels, cheese cloth, bowls, bucket, carboy, potato masher and juice drops everywhere. But hey, pure juice in the carboy. There is exactly 2 litres and 800 mls. Almost 3 litres of juice. 11 1/3 cups. I will go to your site and see what it tells me.

If anyone can help me with the sugar calculation and the next steps that would be awesome.
Click on the website I posted. Click on where it says sugar. Fill in the chart and it should tell you how much sugar to use. Arne.

Hi folks,

We have a rhubarb plant (just one) that is over 25 years old. This thing produces enough rhubarb for our small community and I still end up composting a bunch in the fall.

This year, its already over 3 feet tall and two stalks is enough to make an overflowing pie. Not complaining, the taste is wonderful. It also seems the more I use the faster it reproduces.

Hubby and I decided its probably time to try our hands at making wine. We haven't got a clue what we are doing or have any of the equipment. I did watch a couple of videos but have a bunch of questions.

I went out this morning and brought in 12 stalks, chopped it up and just got it in the freezer. This was just over 8 lbs. The video said the fruit breaks down better with the sugar if its frozen.

I was planning on going to town today to get some supplies. Can someone give me a list of the necessary basics.

The videos said to use glass, not plastic but a plastic bucket is ok right? Then a large glass thing for it to set in. And how much sugar would go with 8lbs of rhubarb? And, and and?? I'll stop there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sorry I don’t have an answer for your question I have a question of my own I wish to ask you. What is the ph of the soil your growing in? I can’t get rhubarb to grow!

Ha ha, another crazy day. Haven't even got the rhubarb chopped up yet.

Arne that site is still a bit too advanced for me. Couldn't figure out what to enter where?

Hey Arne, yes I went to your site right away and they are asking for numbers that I don't understand

Hi Peaches and Brigitte, its funny, hubby and I really aren't growers. We are on a riverbank so there is a lot of clay in it. And I hear about how hard it is to dig every time I want a hole dug. There's a lot of white stuff in it. Not exactly sure what that is, lime maybe.

Just took these pics for you. And this is after I took off the initial 8.5 lbs. A couple of neighbors got some stalks for pies and I took off another 13 lbs last night. So all in all, about 25 lbs of rhubarb lighter than it was last week. And I'm still no where near using it all up. One plant.

Rhu 1.jpgrhu 3.jpg Rhu 2.jpg RB Soil.jpg

This is what 13 lbs of rhubarb looks like:

RB 13 lbs .jpg RB 13 lbs.jpg

And here's what a bit of the garden looks like. It's raised. We did this four years ago. We have an acre of lawn to mow so it gets all the clippings, but that's it and this soil is now really nice. We started with just the dirt from a basement we put in (well along with the house upgrade). Neighbors are always asking how come stuff grows on our property so well. We don't know. And we don't use any pesticides either.

Hmmm, won't let me add this last picture, maybe I have to do another post. Lets try that.

Last edited:
Ha ha, it's telling me my garden (pic) is too big. That's what I think too every time I have to weed. Strange. Will take another one and try again later. Have a bunch of chopping I need to get done. And when it's all in the bucket I'm going to come and ask what to do next.

Got a new hydrometer and a thermometer too this time. Expensive little gadgets. Didn't realize that was the cost with it being included in the equipment kit. She also got me the straight white grape concentrate. We had a choice between red or white grapes, I told her to pick. She chose white. :) No measuring spoons though. I will keep a lookout for the 1/16.

Ok, off to chop some rhubarb.

20180516_171623.jpg

Ha ha... Magic. Not, a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Don't worry, it's all clean. Covered it with saran wrap and put it in the cooler basement. Can someone please tell me what to do next. Should I freeze it, or put it in the bucket with sugar? Put in water and yeast? So many different ways I've seen.

This recipe says:
1. Cut up rhubarb and put in primary fermentor.

2. Pour dry sugar over fruit to extract juice.

The recipe calls for 12.5 pounds of sugar. Do I really put all that in together with this? Should I freeze it first? Oh boy, lots of questions.

Oh, and this:

Hi Peaches and Brigitte, its funny, hubby and I really aren't growers. We are on a riverbank so there is a lot of clay in it. And I hear about how hard it is to dig every time I want a hole dug. There's a lot of white stuff in it. Not exactly sure what that is, lime maybe.

Hubby just got home and told me it's not lime, it's alkali. Lots of alkali in the ground here.

You can't take an accurate sg if the juice isn't in solution, so I would freeze it even if I'm throwing it all in anyway.
For sugar remember you can always add more. This is where the hydrometer comes in, add your juice and most of your water -measure sg
Then 1 lb of sugar per gallon will raise sg 40 points. I wouldn't go over 1.100
This is where the 24 hrs is useful. Shoot low and bump up every few hrs till you are close enough. Sugar syrup works good when you get close. 2-1 simple syrup.

This is almost as funny as the Super Spicy Ginger wine thread, but without the panache of the Aussie's writing style. LOL

I make Rhubarb wine every year. I'm drinking some now, actually. I need at LEAST 4# per gallon - 20# min. for a 5 gal batch. I chop it and freeze it first. Here's a couple of recipes to get you going.

Attachments

• Rhubarb Wine.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 13
Ha ha wildhair. Glad some of you are being entertained. Really trying hard to learn something here. Will try and spark up the writing panache. In the meantime, looked at your recipes and this is the one I was going for, was happy to see it in your list:

Rhubarb Wine Recipe #1
Makes 5 gallons
Ingredients
12.5 pounds cubed rhubarb (cubed)
5 gallons water
12.5 pounds granulated white sugar
5 Campden tablets
50 ounces white grape concentrate
1.25 teaspoons grape tannin (optional)
5 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1package Montrachet wine yeast
Instructions
1. Starting specific gravity should be 1.090-1.095, and acid should be .60%.
2. Cut up rhubarb and put in primary fermentor.
3. Pour dry sugar over fruit to extract juice.
4. Cover with plastic sheet and allow to stand for 24 hours.
5. Put pulp in a straining bag (you can use a new laundered pair of panty hose) and add water and Campden tablets (to kill any "wild" yeasts) and dissolve well.
6. Let stand for another 24 hours.
7. Add remaining ingredients including prepared yeast.
8. Let ferment for 48 hours.
9. Remove pulp bag and squeeze as much of the juice into the must as you can.
10. Stir the fermenting must twice a day to break up the "cap" that forms on the surface.
11. In 3 or 4 days (or when the hydrometer reading is 1.030 or lower), siphon into a five-gallon glass jug or carboy and attach a fermentation lock.
12. Rack again in 3 weeks. Make sure all containers are topped up.
13. Rack again in 3 months.
14. When wine is clear and stable, bottle.
15. Wine may be sweetened to taste at time of bottling with sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water). Add 2 stabilizer tablets per gallon (or follow directions on package if using powder) to prevent renewed fermentation. To preserve color and flavor, add 1 antioxidant tablet per gallon.
16. Age for at least 6 months.

Last edited:
Ok Keith, that is good news for tonight. Rhubarb just put in the freezer. Now the recipe doesn't state that though. You did say find a recipe and follow it. I will trust you.

So tomorrow, I will put the frozen masses in the bucket with 12.5 pounds of sugar?

Ha ha, another crazy day. Haven't even got the rhubarb chopped up yet.

Hey Arne, yes I went to your site right away and they are asking for numbers that I don't understand

Just took these pics for you. And this is after I took off the initial 8.5 lbs. A couple of neighbors got some stalks for pies and I took off another 13 lbs last night. So all in all, about 25 lbs of rhubarb lighter than it was last week. And I'm still no where near using it all up. One plant.

View attachment 48664View attachment 48659 View attachment 48660 View attachment 48661

This is what 13 lbs of rhubarb looks like:

View attachment 48662 View attachment 48663

And here's what a bit of the garden looks like. It's raised. We did this four years ago. We have an acre of lawn to mow so it gets all the clippings, but that's it and this soil is now really nice. We started with just the dirt from a basement we put in (well along with the house upgrade). Neighbors are always asking how come stuff grows on our property so well. We don't know. And we don't use any pesticides either.

Hmmm, won't let me add this last picture, maybe I have to do another post. Lets try that.

That’s a beautiful plant! Can’t wait to see
How your wine turns out!

I read all this and I'm a bit confused.
Are you putting the chunks of rhubarb in the primary and covering with sugar OR are you freezing the rhubarb then pressing to extract the juice?
You added 5 t of potassium metabisulfite to how much liquid? For purifying the juice in a 5 gallon batch you only need 5 - 1/16 t or 1/4 t + 1/16 t (a rounded 1/4 t is close enough). Some one said you added enough for 10 gallons - in reality - you added enough for 80 gals. The Campden tablets are easier to use - just 1 tab per gal.....like the recipe says.
And you are adding strawberries? And ginger? Are you putting the fruit in bags or just leaving it loose in the primary?

Here's my thoughts with the disclaimer that I have limited experience and the opinions expressed are to be followed at your own risk.

I would add more rhubarb. You said you like the taste of rhubarb and the recipe you are using seems ......weak.

You added way to much potassium metabisulfite (k-meta)- I would let it air out for a couple days by just leaving the towel over it and NOT adding the yeast yet. The purpose of the k-meta is to kill the wild yeast - that's why we wait 24 hrs before adding the yeast. if you add your yeast too early - it may kill it, too and your wine may not ferment. You need to stir it a couple times a day and it needs a large opening to de-gas and loose the potency of the k-meta before adding the good yeast. Get a large primary fermenter (8 gal or so) or sterilize a couple 5 gal buckets and pour the must in those. I would add all the other ingredients (EXCEPT the yeast) and cover it with a towel at this point. I would add the yeast in a day or 2.

I would also add the calcium carbonate (precipitated chalk) - it smooths out the wine by neutralizing the oxalic acid in rhubarb.

I attached the Rhubarb recipes (same ones) in .pdf format - it's easier to read. I used the very first one (from Jack Keller's website). Much heavier on the rhubarb - 6-7# per gal. It turned out quite nice. The very last recipe has some of my notes, substitutions and changes (in red). http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

I freeze the washed and chopped rhubarb in 5# bags and sprinkle pectic enzyme on it before vacuum sealing it. I use at least 25-30# for a 5 gallon batch. I thaw it in the primary, pour it into the mesh bags when it's thawed and proceed from there.

You cannot just add the sugar called for in the recipe - you may need more or less depending on the sugar in your fruit. I generally add the amount called for (when I'm following a recipe), but what you want a is a sg of "around" 1.090 to start. So add sugar, stir until dissolved, wait an hour or so - test again until you gt it to that 1.090 on the hydrometer. I just use sugar in the must rather than simple sugar syrup - I don't want to dilute the juice.

Good luck!
P1000541.JPG

Attachments

• Rhubarb Wine.pdf
    78.2 KB · Views: 6
I think the first batch of juice got tossed
I agree the recipie seems a little thin.
As to watering down, I hold water back in the beginning for this reason.
I don't see anything to worry about in the recipe.
I personally would add 2/3 of the sugar and bump it up till I hit my target sg.
Most important to get some yeast and juice together in a bucket.
Some things can only be learned by trying it for yourself.

sorry I don’t have an answer for your question I have a question of my own I wish to ask you. What is the ph of the soil your growing in? I can’t get rhubarb to grow!
Rhubarb likes a sweeter soil ( ph 7 +), lots of manure, lots of sun & plenty of water. It grows best in loose & loamy soil, but I have a lot of clay and I just plant it like a rose bush. Dig a deep hole (18-24" both around and deep), fill it 1/2 with compost or rich dirt, mix the dirt from the hole with compost and put that around the plant. If you just have a root piece - plant it about 2"+ under the soil. I mulch mine to keep the roots cool and help the soil retain water in the summer. I pick off the dead & dying leaves all summer. In the fall, I toss some manure or fertilizer around the plant, cut off any remaining leaves and mulch it for the winter.

Hi Brigitte, thanks. But I take no credit. That plant has a life of its own. It was planted half heartedly 25 years ago and this is it what it's become. So maybe that's your secret. Plant it and forget it. There were a few years it even got mowed over in the early spring, as you can see it's kind of in the center of that portion of the yard, (we used to have a little shed beside it).

Hi Wildhair, to clarify some of your observations,

Are you putting the chunks of rhubarb in the primary and covering with sugar OR are you freezing the rhubarb then pressing to extract the juice?

As per Meadmaker (my consistent mentor) I put it in the freezer. Was going to take it out and put it in the bucket with the 12.5 lbs of sugar like the recipe calls for. Does it matter if its fresh or frozen?

You added 5 t of potassium metabisulfite to how much liquid. You added enough for 80 gals.

I added five 1/2 teaspoons to almost 3 liters of pure extracted juice. They were big 1/2's so your calculation is probably more correct. Oh my, 80 gallons. That would explain the immediate chemical reaction I saw. It turn an offish white immediately as I watched the potassium swirl thru the pink.

I then added 2 drops of hydrogen peroxide and swished it around for a couple of days. I had to toss it yesterday. It went completely clear, like water, with fluffy looking yellow sediment on the bottom. When I smelled it, it made my eyes tear and kind of hurt my lungs. Like very strong vinegar. Everything said as long as it smells good, keep it. This was anything but smell good. It smelled toxic.

You added way to much potassium metabisulfite (k-meta). 5 gallon batch you only need 5 - 1/16 t or 1/4 t + 1/16 t (a rounded 1/4 t

Yes, this batch is now history. Big time lesson learned. Thank you for your calculation. I'm not making a move until I have direction for each step this time.

I've always thought that it was the dyed blondes that gave us natural blondes a bad name. My actions are proving that theory incorrect.

k-meta is to kill the wild yeast, sterilize a couple 5 gal buckets, pour the must in those, I would add the yeast in a day or 2. I would also add the calcium carbonate (precipitated chalk).

All this, overload right now.

Following the recipe (we both had a copy of it - so cool), this is where I'm at:

13 lbs of frozen rhubarb, 1 pound of strawberries, 1/2 pound of raspberries (couldn't resist, they looked so good) and a big chuck of ginger.

A sterilized 8 or 10 gallon bucket. Not sure, it's pretty big, from the wine making store.

What do I do now? The recipe says:

2 Cut up rhubarb and put in primary fermentor.

3 Pour dry sugar over fruit to extract juice.

4 Cover with plastic sheet and allow to stand for 24 hours.

Last edited:
I agree the recipie seems a little thin. Trying to quote meadmaker here.

Both you guys (wildhair and meadmaker) said this. Should I go pick more?

Latest posts

Back