Massive Rhubarb Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I didn't read where it got tossed - my points are for future reference then.
The gas you smelled was SO2 - sulfur dioxide - not a good thing for your lungs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast forward to Now -

It depends. If it were ME -

Option #1 - I would use the quantities you have to make a smaller batch - about 2 1/2 gal. Adding more rhubarb will make the strawberries and raspberries totally irrelevant. Add more strawberries & raspberries if anything.

Option #2 - To make 5 gallons - add at least another 12# of rhubarb & leave out the berries. I would freeze the strawberries and raspberries to use in a another batch of wine. You don't have enough to really add much flavor to the wine - they'll get "lost" in the rhubarb, especially if you make a 5 gallon batch.

As for "what to do now" - from my previous post -
I freeze the washed and chopped rhubarb in 5# bags and sprinkle pectic enzyme on it before vacuum sealing it. I use at least 25-30# for a 5 gallon batch. I thaw it in the primary, pour it into the mesh bags when it's thawed and proceed from there.

Freezing fruit with the pectic enzyme will really bring the juice out when it's thawed. Freeze it solid - a couple days or so at least. Then thaw it, add your water, 1 Campden tablet per gal (crush and dissolve it first) & the sugar & let it sit for a day covered with a towel. Squeeze the rhubarb bags, stir it all up and test the sg. Add more sugar or simple syrup if needed. Once you get that 1.090 reading - THEN add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the yeast. Stir it all up, check the ph. If it's less then 3 - add calcium carbonate @ 1/2 t per gallon to start. Wait about an hour, test ph again. If it's around 3.2 - 3.5 - you're good. Still low? Add another 1/2 t per gal, wait, test ph.
After 12 hrs +/- check the sg (around 1.090) and ph (3.2 - 3.5 ) again. If it's all good - add your yeast, cover with a towel and let the yeast do it's thing.
If you don't have a ph meter - just taste it. If it burns at the back of your throat - it's probably too acidic.

I always dissolve the dry chemicals in a cup or so of the juice, then add them to the must and stir it well.
Hope that helps !

btw - the writing definitely has more panache today! And I loved the self-deprecating blonde joke!
LOL

Last edited:
Hi folks, another busy day. Long weekend coming up here and company's coming. The best laid plans shot to hell again.

Ok, I see what you both are saying here. Thank goodness that last chopped up batch of rhubarb hit the freezer, bowls and all. If the chores are done up early tomorrow, I will get another 13 lbs in the freezer. Hopefully some quiet time though out the weekend to get it in de-juicing or whatever we call it.

So with the 26 lbs of rhubarb, once its frozen (and I will put this batch in freezer bags, as you suggested, with pectin enzyme), when I take it out, probably a couple of days, do I put it in the bucket with the 12.5 pounds of sugar?

Oh wildhair, a sprinkle of pectin enzyme, how much will I need. On a 6 lb bag and 7 lb bag of the chopped rhubarb. Hubby is running into town in the morning, he has a list.

Was also wondering about another ingredient in the recipe, yeast nutrient. What is this and do I need it. Someone also mentioned "chalk". Is that all he asks for and how much of this do we need, if at all?

Oh wildhair, a sprinkle of pectin enzyme, how much will I need. On a 6 lb bag and 7 lb bag of the chopped rhubarb. Hubby is running into town in the morning, he has a list.

Was also wondering about another ingredient in the recipe, yeast nutrient. What is this and do I need it. Someone also mentioned "chalk". Is that all he asks for and how much of this do we need, if at all?

RE: Pectic enzyme on fruit - amount not critical. Maybe a teaspoon, sprinkle it on the fruit in your bowl and stir the fruit (hand or spoon) then bag it & freeze it. Pectic enzyme does not add or subtract from the flavor of the wine and helps it clear. You can still add the amount called for in the recipe when preparing your must.

RE: precipitated chalk - (calcium carbonate). I add it to my rhubarb wine because of the oxalic acid in rhubarb. It's not mandatory & some recipes don't even mention it. I made it the first time w/o it, the next time with it. I use it every time now. But it's good have on hand anyway for when you have a wine that's acidic. I had to add it my Dragon Blood because it was WAYYY to acidic.

RE: yeast nutrient - as the name implies - it helps provide "proper nutrition" for our tiny friends - a balanced diet, as it were. There is also yeast energizer & Fermaid K. Read more here -
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/feeding.asp

If hubby's going to town - a ph meter and or a Total Acid test kit are good to have in the tool chest.

So with the 26 lbs of rhubarb, once its frozen (and I will put this batch in freezer bags, as you suggested, with pectin enzyme), when I take it out, probably a couple of days, do I put it in the bucket with the 12.5 pounds of sugar?

The purpose of that step is to draw the juice out of the FRESH rhubarb. Freezing fruit with the pectic enzyme will really bring the juice out when it's thawed. Pour it into mesh bags once thawed, then .............................

From my previous post -
Freeze it solid - a couple days or so at least. Then thaw it, add your water, 1 Campden tablet per gal (crush and dissolve it first) & the sugar & let it sit for a day covered with a towel.

Squeeze the rhubarb bags, stir it all up and test the sg. Add more sugar or simple syrup if needed. Once you get that 1.090 reading - THEN add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the yeast.

Stir it all up, check the ph. If it's less then 3 - add calcium carbonate @ 1/2 t per gallon to start. Wait about an hour, test ph again. If it's around 3.2 - 3.5 - you're good. Still low? Add another 1/2 t per gal, wait, test ph.
After 12 hrs +/- check the sg (around 1.090) and ph (3.2 - 3.5 ) again. If it's all good - add your yeast, cover with a towel and let the yeast do it's thing.
If you don't have a ph meter - just taste it. If it burns at the back of your throat - it's probably too acidic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's some light reading for you -
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/starting.asp

Ahh, ok, Between this recipe, that I thought I would try to follow and these other methods, we have two very different things. Sorry for the confusion but repetition is a good thing, I get what you're saying now.

Just one last question before I go and get another whole batch of rhubarb, I was thinking about this recipe that last night (what the heck am I saying, I've read it over 50 times, I'm always thinking about this recipe). But this was just before dreamland, so it was keeping me up a bit.

I chose it, it was the on list,, the recipe Kyle put up was close. Someone must have tried it and it worked. It did have 5 stars beside it. Then I got thinking about the 50 oz of white grape concentrate that I purchased for 26.00. Does this not account for a whole wack of fruit as well too? And I still need another box. This box is only 34 oz. The kind I got is called Global White Grape Concentrate.

And if it doesn't and I double this recipe with rhubarb do I have to double the concentrate as well.

Ok - not quite sure what you mean by "a whole wack of fruit" , but I'll take a whack at it. It looks like you're using the 2nd recipe in the doc I posted (or close to it). But if you notice - several others call for no white grape at all, but they use more rhubarb.

This is where it starts to get "personal" - tastebud-wise. You're doubling the RHUBARB to increase the rhubarb flavor, not doubling the whole recipe. You could have as little or as much fruit in any given recipe, but you don't double ALL the ingredients. The white grape juice adds body and "feel" to the wine - so does adding more fruit. Which is why the recipe you are using was weak on rhubarb, substituting the grape to increase the body of the wine. The rhubarb taste will be lighter with 12.5# of rhubarb & the white grape will be a more major flavor component. Do you want a "white wine w/ a light rhubarb flavor", or a white wine that unmistakably says says - " I REALLY LOVE RHUBARB" ?
25#+ will give you the latter, 12.5# and you get the former.

So short answer - no. don't double the white grape conc. or any of the other ingredients. I use Welches Frozen White Grape Juice Conc. in my wines - it's about $2.50 for 11.5 oz., so if you want to add the full 50 oz of white grape - get 2 cans of that for $5 to supplement the 34 oz. you already have.

btw - make sure you have added all the white grape juice AND your initial 12.5# of sugar when you test the sg. Always mix all your liquids and the sugar with the fruit, then crush, dissolve and add the Campden tablets (just 1tab per gal or 1/16 t k-meta per gal) - let it sit bout 12 hrs - test the sg. Add more sugar if needed to get the sg to 1.090
Then add all your dry ingredients EXCEPT THE YEAST- (pectic enzyme, nutrient, acid blend, tannin, etc.) in a small glass of the must - mix them until dissolved, then ADD BACK INTO THE MUST and stir. This is when I test the ph and adjust it.

12 hrs later - add the yeast, cover with a towel, stir a couple times a day and check the sg daily.

Last edited:
Ha ha, I see what you did there. Very tactfully "whack"ed away at my word to correct spelling. Awesome. Too funny.

Note: 1 wack = 1.5 boxes of concentrate. Translated to fruit… have no idea.

This explanation is great wildhair, makes total sense. And yes, while I do love the taste of rhubarb, I think I would like to follow a recipe (for a first try - well second, if you count the first flop) better.

Once this is brewing, if everything goes well, I will have something to use this massive plant for. Will start packing it away in the freezer with pectin for the next go round.

So today is shot, about 20 folks coming over this evening but tomorrow morning (depending on hangover) I will put the rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries and ginger in with 12.5 pounds of sugar.

Steps 2, 3 and 4.

2 Cut up rhubarb and put in primary fermentor.

3 Pour dry sugar over fruit to extract juice. (Concentrate Here?)

4 Cover with plastic sheet and allow to stand for 24 hours.

However, it doesn't say when to add the concentrate but step 9 says add remaining ingredients. It also says to add prepared yeast. I'm assuming (hoping) the concentrate is with the rhubarb in the beginning??

7 Put pulp in a straining bag (you can use a new laundered pair of panty hose) and add water and Campden tablets (to kill any "wild" yeasts) and dissolve well

8 Let stand for another 24 hours.

9 Add remaining ingredients including prepared yeast. (or Concentrate Here)

I hope this is simple and I add the concentrate with the rhubarb at the beginning?? Otherwise it doesn't really co-inside with your information on when to take the SG reading right?

Oh and just called hubby, he has already got the more expensive concentrate and is on his way home. I will remember the Welches for next time. Meadmaker mentioned that too but I figured since I was at the wine store at least I would get the right thing. That much smarter for next time.

Thank you sooo much for all your help.

Last edited:
I feel like the blind leading the blonde................
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Based on your comments - you are going with the Light Rhubarb, correct?

Your rhubarb is already frozen, so as it thaws the juice will be released. I would put the frozen rhubarb in your primary, go ahead and pour the sugar over it. Let it thaw that way - 12 hrs or so.
Then add your water and your concentrate and your other fruit to the primary.
Add 1/16 t k-meta OR 1 Campden tablet per gallon.
Let it sit 12 hrs.

12 hrs later............
Bag your rhubarb, test the sg with your hydrometer - 1.080 - 1.090 is what you want. Add sugar if needed.
Got your sg just right? Then add all your dry ingredients EXCEPT THE YEAST- (pectic enzyme, nutrient, acid blend, tannin, etc.) in a small glass of the must - mix them until dissolved, then ADD BACK INTO THE MUST and stir. This is when I test the ph and adjust it.

12 hrs later ............... NOW add the yeast, cover with a towel, stir a couple times a day and check the sg daily. Keep the temperature around 70 F +/- if you can. Some yeasts need to be hydrated by putting them in a couple ounces of warm (100 F) water for a few minutes. Others are sprinkled dry. READ THE PACKET - it will have specific instructions for that strain of yeast.

You'll catch on. Many of the steps are the same for most wines.

Fruit & liquid & sugar and Campden tablet.
sit 12 hrs - test sg. Adjust
Add remaining ingredients
test ph - adjust if necessary.
Sit 12 hrs
Add yeast
Stir & test sg daily
rack into a secondary vessel when sg is around 1.02 or lower.
Put in airlock, (the S-shaped thingy)
wait, taste, rack,
wait. taste, rack,
wait. etc., etc.

Then we get to bottling and that will be whole 'nother thread!

Happy brewing!

"I feel like the blind leading the blonde................"

OMG, that's hilarious! Simple truths are a very funny thing. Visions of a semi-retired guide dog come to mind. Your white cane is my life line right now.

"Based on your comments - you are going with the Light Rhubarb, correct?"

Yes, let's go with the light rhubarb for this one. Once this is on its way I plan to have at least 30 lbs (with pectin) in the freezer for the next batch.

"Then add your water and your concentrate and your other fruit to the primary."

Just one question, the strawberries, raspberries and ginger were chopped up and are good and frozen as well. Could I toss these in with the unthawing rhubarb and sugar?

Then 12 hours later add the 5 gallons of water and concentrate. At this time as well, add the campden.

As per your calculations - 5 - 1/16 t or 1/4 t + 1/16 t (a rounded 1/4 t is close enough) Thank you for that.

Once this is done, I will test with the hydrometer and post what's happening. I won't add the yeast until I hear it's safe to do so.

Awesome, your guiding abilities shine brightly. This blonde can now safely cross the street avoiding a repetition of the past train wreck.

Ok, it was high noon. Put the frozen masses and 12.5 lbs of sugar in the bucket. Covered it with a towel.

The 12:00 noon time should be good to judge the 12 hour intervals. Deep breath....here we go.

20180519_122146.jpg

Just one question, the strawberries, raspberries and ginger were chopped up and are good and frozen as well. Could I toss these in with the unthawing rhubarb and sugar?

Yes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then 12 hours later add the 5 gallons of water and concentrate. At this time as well, add the campden.

Yes. This 12 hr. period is just to let the fruit thaw - the fruit should be thawed or nearly thawed in 12 hrs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once this is done, I will test with the hydrometer and post what's happening.

Not quite - you can test it and see what the sg is, but I wait another 12 hrs after adding the Campden (k-meta) for the fruit juices and sugar to blend - THEN test the sg.

Bag your rhubarb & other fruit, test the sg with your hydrometer - 1.080 - 1.090 is what you want. Add sugar if needed.
Got your sg just right?
NOW -
add all your dry ingredients EXCEPT THE YEAST- (pectic enzyme, nutrient, acid blend, tannin, etc.) in a small glass of the must - mix them until dissolved, then ADD BACK INTO THE MUST and stir. This is when I test the ph and adjust it.

You need to wait at least 24 hrs after the Campden tabs (or k-meta) treatment before adding the yeast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will be unavailable next week as your yeast start growing & the brewing gets going - I'm sure someone smarter and wiser than me will jump in to help you should you need it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS - Just to clarify - Campden tablets are just pre-measured potassium metabisulfite mixed with other fillers - use 1 tab per gal. of liquid.
Potassium metabisulfite (often referred to as k-meta) is used at the rate of 1/16 t per gal. in the must. It's also used later in racking and bottling.

PPS - my wife has dyslexia and has difficulty reading and following directions - she gets things turned around pretty easy. So I have some practice in explaining things.

Pretty good general recipe directions.
Adjusting for ph might be a bit much for a first wine.
But it should be fairly light do test strips could be used to test it.

True - didn't want to overload, but didn't want to omit either. I had some wines that were pretty acidic and rhubarb wine can be pretty acid. Ph is pretty important to end with a nice smooth drinkable wine, tho.

@wildhair has done a pretty good job in this thread of laying out the steps. I just wanted to mention that these steps are not unique to rhubarb; these are the generic steps for any country wine. Not hard and fast rules by the way, just guidelines.

PS: doing leave us hanging, we want to follow this wine through to the end!

Yes, Stressbaby and meadmaker, I agree. Wildhair has done an excellent job. As a complete neophyte, his thoroughness, repetition and patience are greatly appreciated. So many little nuances involved and a lot of work. Really nice to have the one on one guidance.

And no worries about leaving you hanging Stressbaby. I'm not going anywhere (unlike wildhair - how dare he leave me!.:( A week, hmmm. Does that start from yesterday or today?) and I plan on seeking direction for each move.

Just stirred the thick, gooey slurry. When cleaning the spoon, I took a little taste. OMG, my taste buds danced. It’s the neatest flavor ever. Oh boy, I sure hope this turns into wine.

A little over 6 hours and I will bag the fruit, add the water and add 1/4 of a tsp (total) of that campden stuff.

Hubby got the bag at the wine store but they were in bulk, open to the air, on a shelf. Should I wash this bag ahead of time or should it be good to go.

Also this sugary mass is pretty thick. Is there an easy way to get the fruit into the bag or is it just scoop and fill? I think I need another bucket for the bagging process.

Oh gosh, here I go again, where's my head at. 12 hours, not 24. Was going to wait till noon today. There are still icy spots though, broke them up earlier.

Sending hubby to town for another bucket. This bucket is 1/2 full of juice and fruit, no way it's going to hold 5 gallons of water. Can it be halfed into 2 buckets or should he try and find a really big bucket.

Latest posts

Back