Marquette and La Crescent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miško Ajkula

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My first post on this forum. First on this topic in my life, to be more specific.

I live in Europe, bought on eBay some cuttings of this American grapes, from a Russian seller. Very colorful combination, I know :)

My question is if you could give me a favor and tell me if those vines are really those varieties that I bought. I don't want to be growing them thinking they are something what they are not. You know the feeling.

I don't know if that is possible to say from the photos of so young cuttings, but I would appreciate any opinion.

Marquette:
marquette 1.jpgmarquette 2.jpg

La Crescent :
La Crescent 1.jpgLa Crescent 2.jpg

At this stage a grape leaf looks like pretty much any other grape leaf. Only some sort of DNA analysis could tell. I have Marquette growing and I can post a pic of a mature leaf but it will be some time before your Marquette might look anything like mine until it gets a bit more growth on it.

At this stage a grape leaf looks like pretty much any other grape leaf. Only some sort of DNA analysis could tell. I have Marquette growing and I can post a pic of a mature leaf but it will be some time before your Marquette might look anything like mine until it gets a bit more growth on it.

Thank you ibglowin, I guessed it is like that.
Until now I noticed that Marquette has red veins on its leaves and La Crescent has "normal" green leaves.
Also, Marquette has reddish new growth.

Wow, that is what I call a comprehensive answer.

Thank you all, now I will wait few months and then compare with those photos and informations.

When I started this subject already, maybe you can share some more knowledge and experience, that can be useful for people who are willing to grow or are just starting with those varieties. (like me)

They are more or less new varieties, so not so much details available on internet.

For example: I was trying to find out if they are any good like table grapes, for fresh eating?

I received two cuttings of Valiant, for present, together with others.

What they are good for?

Are there any benefits to mix Valiant with Marquette for wine?

As I understood Marquette is better quality grape, so I would only degrade wine quality.

If I am not mistaken Valiant is a cold hardy table grape so you would not want to attempt to make wine out of it. Marquette is one of the best cold hardy grapes that make a good wine. It has a sort of pinot noir taste profile in my opinion.

People do make wine from Valiant, but I suspect it is kind of like Concord wine:
https://www.ehow.com/how_7236627_make-wine-valiant-grapes.htmlIf you like Manischewitz-style wine then this may have some utility. It's sold in most grocery stores. Most people aren't crazy about it. and it seems to exist for nostalgia purposes for old people and those who keep kosher.
Valiant has low acid so it might help in blends with high acid varietals?

I received 8 cuttings (3 marquette, 3 La Crescent, 2 Valiant) this March and until now they are all well and alive. I am very happy with my 100% success rate in bringing those cuttings to life.

I got them with idea in my mind to make some good wine. Quantities about 30-50l of wine per variety. Translated in number of vines, that would be 10-15 vines, if I am correct.

You saw in my first photo how young are my plants.

The question is: what are you proposing as best way to propagate new plants from my existing ones?

I was thinking to make cuttings next year in February. I thought that I could get 3 cuttings per plant (9 per variety in total). That would be just enough.

Do you think this is a good plan?

Any suggestions, proposals...?

There is a wealth of information on just this subject here:

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/thre...-beginning-grapeman.30613/page-13#post-686044
I received 8 cuttings (3 marquette, 3 La Crescent, 2 Valiant) this March and until now they are all well and alive. I am very happy with my 100% success rate in bringing those cuttings to life.

I got them with idea in my mind to make some good wine. Quantities about 30-50l of wine per variety. Translated in number of vines, that would be 10-15 vines, if I am correct.

You saw in my first photo how young are my plants.

The question is: what are you proposing as best way to propagate new plants from my existing ones?

I was thinking to make cuttings next year in February. I thought that I could get 3 cuttings per plant (9 per variety in total). That would be just enough.

Do you think this is a good plan?

Any suggestions, proposals...?

Actually I started reading that before I posted mine thread. Amazing source of information.

Only I was looking for specific advice about making cuttings from this year rooted cuttings.

Just my personal opinion here but I don't think you have any realistic chance for cuttings from that single rooted cutting you have this year. You would be wise to let your cutting grow strong and healthy for a year or two and then follow the procedure(s) in the thread above for successful propagation sometime down the road.

I make wine with Valiant as a blend. As stated above, it is similar to a Concord flavor. I tend to use it in a blend with Frontenac and Frontenac Gris as a port style wine. The Frontenac's can have very high acid and the flavors go together in my opinion. The Valiant vines are VERY hardy, vigorous and productive. I need to be very aggressive in shoot and cluster thinning or they will kill themselves.

Latest posts

Back