Marking inside of fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr06

Reaction score
Hey everyone, has anyone marked the inside of their fermenter to show gallon levels, like 1, 2, 3 and so on? I have a Brute 20 gallon container and was wondering what would be safe to use being that I'm fermenting in it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joe, I mark the outside of my Brutes. I have the grey Brutes and I have seen white ones. There is just enough translucency that I can make out the level. I would be reluctant to put anything on the inside. I should also note that I only mark in 6 gallon increments, so my 20 gallon Brutes are marked 6, 12 and 18 and my 30 gallon Brute is marked 6, 12, 18 and 24.

We have white Brutes so its easy to shine a bright light thru it to see where the level is marked on the outside. Maybe make yourself a PVC pipe ruler that you can check the level and still be able to easily clean? WVMJ

,,,OR,,, maybe etch/scribe a mark on inside if material is not translucent enough to see fluid level from outside.

I marked the inside of mine with a sharpie. If I did it again I would try to do it lie Rocky said. With that said I think WVMountaineerJack has a great idea and I actually did it years for my carboys.

DSCN2237.JPG

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards marking my stir spoon or pvc pipe.

Or...if you really want to get sophisticated, get yourself two threaded elbows, a clear plastic tube and mounting parts. Drill a hole near the bottom of the Brute and one above it near the top for the elbows. Mount the elbows with the tube attached between them and make sure it is water tight. Add water to the barrel in known increments, say 5 gallons at a time and mark on the outside of the Brute where the water level is on the tube. I would also make the tube removable for easy cleaning. Believe it or not, I have contemplated doing this to my Brutes but gave it up for the much simpler though less accurate solution.

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I'm leaning towards marking my stir spoon or pvc pipe.

I think a small notch on the spoon handle should do the trick. If you're concerned about weaken the spoon handle, which I don't think should be an issue with small notch, then go the PVC route.

- or -

Measure down from the top.

Last edited:
I think a small notch on the spoon handle should do the trick. If you're concerned about weaken the spoon handle, which I don't think should be an issue with small notch, then go the PVC route.

- or -

Measure down from the top.

I think this is the way I would go -

You don't need any added elbows or connectors that could possibly leak and or cause bacteria infection down the road

Back