Malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
I added a malolactic culture to my red wine when I racked it to the secondary fermenter. Now the wine is fermented dry. I've read that sur lees is bad for reds, but I've also read that malolactic bacteria need lees present in order to work properly.

My questions are:
DoI need to rack some sediment over for the malolactic bacteria to work??

If so, how much??

Should I adjust SO2 if it is below 20ppm??

What is the best practice? This is a Cab Franc / Cab Sauv. field blend.

Keep the S02 levels down or it will prevent the mlf from becoming active.

Yes you shoudl keep just a bit of lees in at transfer. You can also add a product like Opti-malo or similar product to keep them fed. Stir up the nutrient or lees once a day for a couple weeks. You aren't doing a sur-lees exactly with this, just feeding the bacteria until malic acid conversion completion.

Thanks,
I will rack over and leave gross lees behind.
Right now the S.G. in both of my reds are at 0.994 but I still see some bubbles. The bubblers are burping at about every 40 seconds on one and every 65 seconds on the other. I think this is indicating that the MLF is really taken off.

Thats what it sounds like to me also. Its on its way to being an excellent wine!

Look at the neck of the carboy. If it is mlf you will see a ring of tiny bubbles around the outside of the wine. You can often see tiny bubbles floating to the top along the glass.

Latest posts

Back