Malolactic/Sulphite/Oxidation conundrum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Junior
Reaction score
Hi folks! I have a load of red wine nicely fermented out, but rather acidic so it needs its malolactic magic. If I rack it off the lees I'm concerned it will oxidise, but if I add sulphite it will upset the malolactic process. Is there an answer to this conflict please? Also, will malolactic happen on its own or do I need to add the culture? Thanks, you wine boffins!

This is exactly my question! It sounds like you could rack off initial lees carefully and get CO2 protection once ML starts, or you could leave it on the lees until ML is done. I am trying to decide between these!

Additionally, I have some Acti-ML that is so old, it's before the concept of expiration dates came into vogue. I guess I should but fresh!

Thank you for those excellent, quick and succinct answers. I wasn't aware of CO2 protecting against oxidation, (without inhibiting MLF, presumably). That's extremely useful info.

Wine is a lot less susceptible to oxidation when it is young and racking with exposure to oxygen helps the young wine. Rack the wine into a close container with airlocks, add ML bacteria. When ML fermentation is done, you can sulfite the wine and continue to leave it on the fine lees for aging which can give the wine some more complexity, or you can rack off the fine lees into new closed container and sulfite for aging. Personally, I co inoculate with malo during fermentation. I rack after primary fermentation into closed vessels to get the wine off the gross lees and let malo complete. I sulfite the wine after malo completes and continue to age on the fine lees for four to six months before racking again.

Latest posts

Back