malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbwenger

Reaction score
greetings everyone, i hope wine season has been going well for evryone, my wine is the only thing giving me sanity right now, (our team is 1-3, and still putting in 90 hours a week
smiley5.gif
).... just wanted to drop a note a say hello, and i will be back on the forum again soon.... i also have a question, i'm going to try my first attempts at malolactic fermentation, and my main questions are 1. does primary have to be 100% complete,2. when i go to start MF, do i need to top up carboys, or do the bacteria act like yeast and need some oxygen??, and 3. do i wait until the MF is complete to add the oak cubes, or do i add during, or does it make no difference... i've been checking a lot of articles out through google, but these questions seemed unanswered, thought maybe someone could help

Introduce the ML culture at the time you rack to glass, at under 30 ppm SO2. Top up when you can just as you always do, as the fermentation subsides. You will (should) have 2 fermentations going at once at this point. ML bacteria do not need to have more O2. You can add oak from the very start of the must, anytime you feel like it, or after fermentation. With the oak cubes, you can rinse them off and readd.

It is to be avoided in most instances, but can benefit a wine high in the very harsh malic acid, such as most red grape wine.

Malolactic fermentation should definitely be avoided when making wine from a kit. As Hippie indicated, there are times when making wine from grapes when it is desired.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Joseph, I have trouble sometimes explaining different methods and aspects of winemaking even though I feel I have a good understanding of most things in my own way. Please feel free to jump in where I fall short. There is alot to cover in this subject alone.

this is the first time i'm trying it, but from my understanding, now that primary ferm is done, i can MF for the next three months to change the acidic acid into malic acid to soften the feel of the wine and make it less sharp... i believe almost all wineries go through this process with their wines, (red dry wines, and some dry whites)...so i'm thinking of doing it with Zin, Cab, and either a syrah or Sangiovese... have a barbera, Burgundy blend, semillion, and grenache that i'm going to let alone..... these are all juices,no kits

Actually, it changes the harsh malic acid into the softer lactic acid. Lactic acid is found in milk, so it contributes to a more creamy mouthfeel and taste.

Are there a variety of ML cultures just as there are yeasts? I see that George
sells one product. Maybe that's all that's needed in the business.

thanks for the correction Glenvall.... for some reason keep thinking malic acid is the one in milk, but yes, thats my intent, get rid of the acidic taste to a smoother tasting wine... don't know how much of a difference this will make, is it a suttle change or will this be a very noticable difference??

It depends on how much malic acid is there. Tartaric acid can also be harsh if there is too much, and a combination of all the acids also. For me, it is a fun experiment.

Latest posts

Back