Malolactic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbwenger

Reaction score
does anyone ever do a malolactic fermentation?? i heard it gets rather complicated, but i'm not quite sure of the in's and out's of it... i am scheduled to get a couple batches of juice soon, and didn't know if this is anything i might want to consider???

Malolactic fermentation is a secondary fermentation whichcan start by itself in red grape wines with under 30 ppm of free SO2. It is caused by malolactic bacteria and can be good or bad. The malolactic bacteria change harsh malic acid into the milder lactic acid. The malolactic bacteria culture can be introduced by the winemaker. George carries it. I have used it with good results in my '04 Scuppernong, crafted in a chardonnay fashion. I suggest you google it and study up on it.

smiley33.gif

I went to the ValleyVintner.com website and they suggested the 2nd ferm to be a malolactic, but it said for the red/grape. What about Blueberry? Any ideas?

The main acid in blueberries is citric. Reducing the amount of malic acid in a blueberry wine will likely havea minimal effect.Most redwinegrapes contain very large amounts of malic acid, considered to be among the harshest of the acids.

Latest posts

Back