Making Wine Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have used plain paper and glue sticksfor red wine, but with condensation the labelno longer sticks to the bottle. Is there a glue that willresolve this issue but is easy to remove?

Hopefully your cellaring area is not humid enough to cause condensation on the bottles! If so, change your strategy.

If your labels present problems with only adhesion, then you might want to check out the full sheet "label paper" that is already coated. They adhere without lifting, provided that you thoroughly wipe the bottle clean then apply. They are available at your local "Office Max" type supply store.

The condensation is fromchilling. The cold bottle gets the condensation when I'm drinking it.I remove it from the refrigerator and the warm air hits it. The label will slide offall on its own. I'm sure it is theglue I'm using. It works great with red wines and is very easy to remove. The problem lies with the white wines. The glue stick I'm using does not say permanent on it. Has anyone used a glue stick that is permanent? If so does it stick to the bottle during condensation? And is it easy to remove?

I would agree to try the pre coated label paper, it will work better than the glue stick method. I use peel off address labels on most of my kit wines that don't come with there own labels. They are cheap and easy to scrape off when the bottle is empty.

I can't see spending lots of time and money in fancy labels to be put on bottles that don't leave the house!

We are experimenting with different label options. Sometimes we just put small, strip labels on the bottles that we know we won't give as gifts. No need to spend a bunch of $ on labels and toner when we don't spend much time looking at it!

I tried to stay away from this topic, but it seems to be a hot button, so I will advertise!

The label paper I sell is very easy to use. One side has a gummed back which you just wet and stick. In addition, they float right off the bottle with 5-10 minutes of soaking.

Second point is that labels created with ink jet printers have a tendency to run. To avoid this, use a light coat of a spray on matte finish. You can get this at most hobby stores.

Third point is that with any wine kit you purchase from me, you get 36 free labels. You can pick one of my standard labels or send me an image and I will create a custom label. Just one more way we take care of our customer's need.

Advertisement over.Edited by: geocorn

I like that send an image idea! What should be the maximum size? Will a digital photo work?

smiley20.gif

Digital images work the best and the bigger the better, within reason. The higher resolutions can be shrunk, but when I blow up the small pics, they get fuzzy.

I have bought label paper from George and it works great!
smiley20.gif
I haven't had any problems with labels coming off due to condensation. And they come of real easy with a 5 minute soaking and really no residue left on the bottle so the bottles are easy to clean off.
smiley32.gif

geocorn said:
Digital images work the best and the bigger the better, within reason. The higher resolutions can be shrunk, but when I blow up the small pics, they get fuzzy.

Gotcha!

Latest posts

Back